Troubleshooting mash temperature

Timely thread. I do BIAB full volume mash and boil in the same kettle, my 5.5 gallon SS Brewtech. This kettle does not fit in my oven like my 3 gallon kettle, so I have been looking for a way to maintain temperature during the mash. Today, I decided to just insulate; after doughing in the grains, I put the kettle atop a double layer of green backpacking foam, wrapped a fleece blanket around the sides, then covered the whole thing with a fleece pullover, making sure to completely cover the top. Then I let it sit, undisturbed for the entire 60 minute mash. At the start of the mash, my temperature was a somewhat high 158*F. After an hour, it was at 153.5*F. My target was 154, so at least I got in the ball park. Previously, I would have stirred the mash, measured temperature and collected a refractometer sample every 15 minutes during the mash. Thanks for steering me toward a simpler brew day.

Last edited:
Today I tried the full volume mash. After dough in it was sitting at 159F. Then I topped it with foil, wrapped it in towels and a fleece, and went to the grocery store. After about 70 minutes, the mash had dropped to 155F. Much better than my last few batches. The extract efficiency seems similar to when I've batch sparged, though the grain bill was 22% adjunct grains which may have helped.

I will continue to tweak this method until the temps hit closer to 152-154 over the mash, but so far I'm quite pleased. Thanks everybody :)
20210403_104353.jpg

Maybe I missed it as I'm jumping in the helper train a little late but besides preheating, a hat and coat for the tun and no mid mash stirring, are you taking the grain temperature into account when you add your strike water? There's a calculator on the site here somewhere for that...

Maybe I missed it as I'm jumping in the helper train a little late but besides preheating, a hat and coat for the tun and no mid mash stirring, are you taking the grain temperature into account when you add your strike water? There's a calculator on the site here somewhere for that...
Yes I am, but it's a good thought. I typically lose 9-11F with batch sparging, and this last time I lost about 6-7F with the full volume mash

I have experimented with warming my grains in the oven while heating strike water. The idea being that grains warmed to some extent won’t cause as much temperature drop when added to the strike/mash water. Does anyone else do this, or see it as being potentially problematic?

I have experimented with warming my grains in the oven while heating strike water. The idea being that grains warmed to some extent won’t cause as much temperature drop when added to the strike/mash water. Does anyone else do this, or see it as being potentially problematic?
I would be more inclined to adjust strike water temperature than adjust the dry grist temperature.

Yeah I'm more likely to scorch my grain that way personally.

I’m talking about just putting the paper sack full of milled grains in my gas-fired oven, set to “WARM” for a few minutes as strike water heats up. I totally understand anybody having reservations about this process.

It won't hurt, but I just add a couple degrees of to the water and then I don't forget about the grains in the oven. ;)

Back