trouble carbonating due to high final OG?

Brewer #45854

Trial Member
Reaction score
After 2 weeks in the primary and 1 week dry hop in the secondary, I bottled a five gallon batch of Stones 15th anniversary black IIPA clone using 5oz priming sugar stirred throughly. I haven't had an issue with carbonation with other ales in the past using the same method. (Usually 7-10 days is sufficient) I absolutely nailed the OG of 1.103 However, with such a HUGE beer I did fall short on the FG with ths one. Target was 1.023 and my reading on bottling day was 1.034. (likely due to insufficient 1 liter starter?) Three weeks after bottling and only the slightest "pssst" when i pop one open. Even after a vigorous pour, no head to speak of. I am assuming the high FG is the culprit here. To my understanding all beer will "eventuality carbonate" on their own, but being an IPA at heart, naturally i would prefer to experience this beast as soon as possible. My question: Is there a precautionary measure to aid carbonation when you fall this short of your target FG, or is patience the key?

all i can say is the bigger the beer, the longer it takes to ferment, so you might have pulled it too soon and it could still be fermenting in the bottle. it could be carbonating slower too, just let them set and check back in another week or 2

OK please do not think this is anything but help.
1) This is an IPA correct ? Looking at style wise IPA's are a high of 2.3 vol CO2 or approx. 4 oz sugar
2) Do you want this more carb'ed than usual ? Just askin' cause I like extra carb in mine .
3) 3 weeks for a beer this big is WAY too soon. Let it go for at least 6 weeks. You still might have to wait though.

Keep calm and brew on
Joe

Back