Tripel not carbonating

SabreSteve

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I bottled my Belgian tripel 2 weeks ago and it doesn't seem to be carbonating at all. Tried a bottle a week ago and no go. I've had plenty of beers carbonate in 1 week but figured that it would be silly to get nervous before waiting 2 weeks but now it's 2 weeks and still no signs of carb. Pitched BE 256 and it attenuated real well reaching 10.5% so I'm worried I reached it's tolerance and should have added a more tolerant yeast at bottling but it's too late for that now. It's been conditioning at an ambient temperature of 75F so I doubt that's it. Should I just give it more time or am I SOL?

If at the end of your rope, add some yeast and sugar to each bottle and re-cap.

I bottled my Belgian tripel 2 weeks ago and it doesn't seem to be carbonating at all. Tried a bottle a week ago and no go. I've had plenty of beers carbonate in 1 week but figured that it would be silly to get nervous before waiting 2 weeks but now it's 2 weeks and still no signs of carb. Pitched BE 256 and it attenuated real well reaching 10.5% so I'm worried I reached it's tolerance and should have added a more tolerant yeast at bottling but it's too late for that now. It's been conditioning at an ambient temperature of 75F so I doubt that's it. Should I just give it more time or am I SOL?
More time. I have had beer take 8 weeks to carb up

I'm just worried about oxygenation doing that
If you pop, sprinkle and cap. Shouldn't be an issue. The co2 blanketing the top will remain.

I have an Imperial Stout that I bottled back in January that did not carb up a lick. I bought some CBC-1 yeast and I intend to pop the caps and add some yeast. I won't add any more sugar however as I can only assume since there is zero carbonation that the sugar I used to bottle (carbonation drops) is still floating around in the bottle. I don't want to overcarb the beer, or worse yet, make little Imperial Stout bombs. :eek:

This is the first time it's taken more than 2 weeks for me but I've never used this yeast before or had a beer with such high alcohol. I think I'll give it a few more weeks and then try adding more yeast
More time can't hurt

If at the end of your rope, add some yeast and sugar to each bottle and re-cap.

I've had beers take over a month to carb up.

Over-priming will over-carb at best and be dangerous at worst. I would give it a couple of weeks before adding any more sugar.

Any recommendations on yeast to use? Went to a LHBS today and the guy wasn't very knowledgeable (think he's more into wine making) said the owner would know but he has a day job and is only there like 5-6 weekdays. Anyways I'm just looking for something that'll tolerate the alcohol without really adding any of it's own character

Probably s05, but I'll wait for others to chime in.

If there's any of the bottle conditioning ones they have low character and only ferment simple sugars - CBC 1 I think. It's never in stock at our LHBSs. And the wine guy might be useful, only ferments simple sugars and fructose would be a lot of wine yeasts and you just need a neutral one.

Champagne yeast?

That would have been my thought and I always have it on hand as a backup but I believe it's tolerance is similar to the BE 256 so I worry it might not be up to the job. I might need to look into CBC 1 as @Mark Farrall suggested
I recently used CBC-1 in an Imperial Stout that wouldn't bottle carb with the recipe yeast (see post #7). That was 4 weeks ago and I haven't checked its progress yet. Maybe this weekend if I can remember to stick one in the fridge.

So just started the project and the first one I open is a gusher (it's stopped after about 30 seconds). Wasn't sure if it magically finished in the last 2 weeks since I last touched it. But second bottle wasn't carbed. The open bottle tastes fine. No off flavors or anything that would indicate infection. Guess I got to give every bottle a shake before opening and hope I can tell visually

So I think most of them are carbed now... Must have happened in the last 2 weeks since I decided to try and open them and then got the yeast. I guess I should have opened a couple before getting setup to do this

Back