Tough Brew Day!

Exactly! I do have a BYO membership and have read this and other articles. The malt sheet just doesn't quite match up to what I am reading... but I have managed to derive SOME info from it. Like what @Trialben mentioned - extract potential seems on par with other base malts. I think I will have to do a bit of experimenting to see if I figure out what went wrong. I used all the wheat malt I had so maybe a mini-mash to see what sort of extract I get from the pilsner malt by itself under similar conditions...

I did mill the wheat with the pilsner malt so maybe that somehow affected how crushed the wheat was comparatively and in turn I didn't extract much from that grain... ?
My 2 roller mill gap is set at credit card width. I regularly use wheat malt to bump up head retention in alot of my beers. I'll just throw this in the mill with everything else.
I seem to get great extraction in my brews high 80's usually

I think those who set the mill gap wider to allow for a more course crack for better flow would maybe have issues with wheat malt passing though the mill UN cracked.

For Biab brewers who like a fine crush I'm sure if the wheat kernel goes though my kill it's not whole:p.

Pluss we all run our fingers through the milled grain and caringly inspect the crush.
If I'm seeing lots of whole kernels I'm thinking hmmm mill needs adjusting it must of moved.

I really think you need to take the age old Adage And relax don't worry have a home brew.

And brew it again I'm sure there was an anomaly there.
You did say you've had a break from the mash tun maybe you just overlooked something as little as doe balls ;)

PPG test time...sacrifice a pound from the sac o grain!
I think I should - the question is: how long to mash the 1 pound of grain in the 1 gallon of water? Just as long as I would a regular mash? I've never done this test before... Wish I had a reason to make a starter ;) Or even a Speise! lol

I think I should - the question is: how long to mash the 1 pound of grain in the 1 gallon of water? Just as long as I would a regular mash? I've never done this test before... Wish I had a reason to make a starter ;) Or even a Speise! lol
Ouuu! Great idea for reuse, speise! I just learned about that in the Master Brewer's Podcast. Carbonate this batch with it!
As far as the how to, I'd emulate the temperatures and times of this batch. I think the standard is 153° for 1 hour in 1 gallon of strike water. Lemme see if I can find that Brewdudes article...

Update: Beer was looking finished so I pulled a sample from the 5 gallons fermented with Koln yeast - Tasted great! Not as hoppy as I was expecting due to such a low OG - but there was certainly some nice grapefruit and citrus notes! I could also taste some fruitiness from the yeast. You can actually smell it and the malt on the nose. It does finish dry and is very light - I'm sure carbonation will also enhance the dry/crispness.

I'll pull another sample in a few days as I was expecting it to be a bit lower (Koln yeast does work slower than 34/70 though) - so I'll also pull a sample from the fermenter that had 34/70 as it was a repitch and started almost immediately so it could be actually finished!

Pulled a sample from the 34/70 batch and it was a bit lower than the Koln. The taste is similar but you can really taste the difference in yeast - this one is clean - no yeast flavor at all and finishes a bit drier. I think I prefer the Koln version!

I added about an ounce of Summit for a dry hop to the 34/70 batch this morning and come tomorrow afternoon I think I'll keg both batches :)

Ouuu! Great idea for reuse, speise! I just learned about that in the Master Brewer's Podcast. Carbonate this batch with it!
As far as the how to, I'd emulate the temperatures and times of this batch. I think the standard is 153° for 1 hour in 1 gallon of strike water. Lemme see if I can find that Brewdudes article...
I was doing a lot of reading on this the other day. I usually rack to a keg early to carbonate or ferment in a keg. BUT i want try this sometime especially this winter when I’m fermenting lagers in the garage.

Heyyathere @Josh Hughes ....check out the Master Brewers Association podcast #237 for a 1\2 hour on speise packageing. They are obviously working on a much much larger scale but you can take some concepts from the talk.

I’ll see if I can find that. Thanks!
830D118C-1D92-4073-B945-9C4EBB6B771D.png

Back