Todd the Axe Man recipe?

Beerbelly

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I visited my buddy in MN not long ago, and we had a few (Many) "Todd the Axe Man"s from Surly Brewing. Delicious, with over-the-top Citra & Mosaic hopping. Anyone have a good all grain recipe?

Put axe in the recipe search and you'll get three all grain recipes. No idea how faithful they are though.

My buddy sent me a couple of cans, and I used this recipe on the site to brew it:
Screen Shot 2019-03-26 at 6.31.33 AM.png

It turned out surprisingly close, lots of tropical fruit aromas, but a little less bitter. Next time I'm going to bump up the Warrior boil addition, leaving all other additions as they are. Mine is on the right in the photos.
Screen Shot 2019-03-26 at 6.31.33 AM.png
IMG_0437.JPG
IMG_0440.JPG

I was surprised by how much hop debris was floating in the Surly though:
IMG_0445.JPG

I'm surprised Axman isn't at least a little clearer, it's not filtered but they have a centrifuge. Kinda looks a little rough. It might just be dredges from the bottom of the can.

So I tried my own variation of the recipe, in an effort to get rid of the hop debris.

I used Great Western pale malt vs. Golden Promise, did FWH with the Warrior, but no dry hopping at all. As you might expect, there is a different hop note, but there is no debris, which was my primary goal- chunks floating in your beer is a turn off to me.

Although mildly different, this beer still has a kick (1068) and that great Citra/Mosaic flavor & aroma. I'm considering using Whirlfloc in the next batch, because I just don't see why not have a clear beer.

15 lbs. of GW pale malt plus this hop schedule:

Screen Shot 2019-05-18 at 4.38.53 PM.png

Back