Toasting Base Malt --> Diastatic Power?

Discussion in 'General Brewing Discussions' started by Megary, Nov 20, 2020.

1. Megary

Megary Well-Known Member

Searching the world wide web I have found some very interesting discussions but not any definitive answers to this question:

If you oven-toast a base malt, does the toasted malt lose its Diastatic Power? I'm thinking the answer is probably a f(x,y) of Time and Temperature? And maybe grain moisture?? But this is far beyond my pay grade...

I ask because I have a Brown planned for next weekend and will be toasting a portion of the base malt for ≈30 minutes at 350°. Even if this toasted malt is completely stripped of its DP, I'll still have plenty left for conversion, but it got me thinking that toasting malt *could* create a conversion problem under certain circumstances.

2. Nosybear

Nosybear Well-Known Member

You're exactly right, toasting will reduce the diastatic power. But remember, modern base malts will convert quite a bit of adjunct and if you're using six-row, it'll convert twice its weight. Wheat is pretty powerful, too. Toast ALL of your base malt too dark and you may be in for conversion issues, you are correct.