Time to decide on a second batch - looking for recommendations

I too am new to brewing, I have only done 7 batches now. I have repeated 2 recipes in the process, one because it got infected, and one because I wanted to see what the difference would be applying things that I learned and improvements to my process. To each his own, but I am learning as I go, brewing some different styles of beer, and having fun. So far each batch I brew is better than the last.
Cheers!

So, the second batch(es) is ready, and we had some of it last night. Interesting stuff.
The batch(es) was two SMaSHes - Pilsener being the only malt and using Nottingham yeast, one with East Kent Golding and one with Hallertau. The OG was the same for both (same start wort), and they were fermented in same size batches, sitting in the same cooler filled with water. Only technical difference is that when I racked the Hallertau to the bottling bucket, I forgot to close the spigot, which made me lose nearly half the beer (and probably changed the concentration of sugar that I added for carbonation).

Tasting both beers, the EKG was much more bitter and without any malt character, compared to the Hallertau. The Hallertau was also quite cloudy, and had a bit of a green color - made me think it may have gone bad, but it tasted just fine.
Also, both beers had a head that wasn't very dense, and somehow almost resembled the foam you get on coke.
Do these things seem reasonable? (I'd also add that the Hallertau had slightly higher Alpha, so I'd expect it to be the more bitter one, if anything)
Would love your input on that.

Right now I have a similar double batch. This time the hops used are Fuggle and Simcoe (still with Pilsener malt and Nottingham yeast - harvested from the previous brew). Any suggestions for where to go next with this experimentation? (keeping in mind that I'm not really into hops that are fruity, citrusy, etc.; yes, I know Simcoe is fruity, I decided to give it a shot, but I'm not expecting to be in love with it)

Back