tilt - temperature swing between 32 and 70

Chaos home brewing

Trial Member
Reaction score
Has anyone encountered this before? One minute my tilt shows 32 degrees and the next 70. It has been going on for over 24 hours now.

I'm probably gonna contact them on Monday but thought someone in this giant knowledgebase may have seen this before and had a quick fix.
upload_2020-8-8_16-41-18.png

upload_2020-8-8_16-41-58.png

upload_2020-8-8_16-43-10.png

I see gravity spikes when it gets trapped between a wall and my floating dip tube, but never temperature spikes.

Could it possibly be a low battery?
Alternative theory: The sensor itself has a fault.
Please let us know what Tilt says?

Low battery makes the most sense. You had a steady rise on day one, a steady drop on day two and a constant temp for the next tree days. Then it suddenly went off the rails. I've seen electronics get wonky when the battery is weak. I'd replace the battery even before contacting Tilt.

Thank you, everyone, for your responses. I kinda figured the battery too but it was not bad when I put it in on 8/1. However, the battery is old so maybe?
I did receive an email from them yesterday basically asking if I had two green tilts, which I do not. They also asked for a screenshot showing the tilt calibration screen. I actually have never calibrated the temperature so maybe they are on to something there. I've sent them the info they asked for along with the log (I use the tilt pi) and am awaiting their response. I'll keep you guys updated.

Do I understand that you installed a new battery on 8/1? If yes, then Baron recommends you should calibrate it.

I speculate that there is information on the calibration screen they will use to troubleshoot.

Do I understand that you installed a new battery on 8/1? If yes, then Baron recommends you should calibrate it.

I speculate that there is information on the calibration screen they will use to troubleshoot.

I have not put a new battery in this unit since I've had it. However the light was blue before i put it in this brew, almost two weeks ago. We are still going back and fourth. There latest was I had set the tilt pi using the same log with the black, orange and green tilt. I couldn't find out how the tilt pi could use different logs.

The only things left are, as you said, the battery or a defective unit. But hopefully I'm wrong and a calibration will solve the trouble! I'm just waiting on the baron's next email.

Thank you for your response

There latest was I had set the tilt pi using the same log with the black, orange and green tilt.

Do you have multiple Tilt hydrometers? If you do have multiple Tilts active at the same time and one is at 32 F and the other at 70 F and both are writing to the same log file then that would explain what you are seeing. If you do have multiple then put the others out of range or lay it flat so it triggers the auto-shutoff.

The tilt was removed from the beer today since I kegged it up. As it turns out the battery was low as Donoroto said a few days back. It went dead quickly as two weeks ago I had a good battery light when it was dropped in. Anyway, it is nice to get it resolved. Now to the calibration of the unit.

Back