Tilt Forwarding to Google Sheets Help

Discussion in 'Brew Sessions' started by Northshore, Jan 1, 2021.

1. Northshore

Northshore New Member

I recently set up a Tilt hydrometer and while I was successful in getting my brew session to track the data, forwarding this data to Google Sheets has been less successful. Instead of logging data as an individual beer, each data entry is being logged as a separate beer. I tried to follow the directions in the guide but I must have missed something along the way. Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Donoroto

Donoroto Well-Known Member

Retired Engineer
    I might be able to help.
    I have to assume your Tilt is communicating via bluetooth to a Raspberry Pi, loaded with the Tilt Pi image. The P{i uses WiFi to connect to the web.
    Connect to the Pi and on the logging screen, give your beer a name, add your gmail address, and set the logging interval. (I use 15 minutes as I am impatient).

Soon you will receive 2 email messages from Tilt, one from Noan Neibaron and one from Tilt Customer Service; both contain a link to the data page. Follow that link (you may open it in Sheets if you like, I just open it in a browser) and you should get a view with four tabs: Report, Chart, Data and Help. Report has the details and data used for the chart, which graphs the temperature and specific gravity over time.

I think the link you are using is different, just a log of log files that exist.

Let us know how it turns out.

3. Northshore

Northshore New Member

Thanks for the reply. Just to confirm, yes, I have set up a Tilt Pi which is sending data every 15 minutes to my brew session. This is really all I care about quite honestly but then I figured it could be handy to have this data in 2 places. I can try what you suggest but I did see in the setup instructions posted here that it notes not to included your email. Exerpt below:

Copy your Tilt cloud URL from Account Settings and paste it into the Cloud Url, hit enter/return to save. Do not enter your email in the GMAIL email input. For whatever reason this causes issues sending data.

I am a little hesitant to mess things up with an active fermentation happening so I might wait until this batch completes its fermentation before try this.

4. Donoroto

Donoroto Well-Known Member

Retired Engineer
    Ah, that's for Brewer's Friend then? I don't post my data to BF in any way; just Google Sheets. That gives me images like this, which is all I want / need. For this, you DO indeed enter your gmail address. But I really can't help if you are sending the data here to BF, as I have no experience with that.

To see these, just point your browser to HERE

Hefe4a.jpg

5. RGHops

RGHops New Member

#5 RGHops, Jan 9, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    I have the same question/issue as the OP. I have setup my Tilt with Tilt PI and can log data to both Google sheets (created from Tilt) and also to my BF brew log (separately).

I am following the steps under Docs > Devices > Tilt > Google Sheets so that I can forward the data back to Google sheets, but I am stuck and cannot make this work. Here are my results/questions from the steps on that page:

1. OK. I kept the “Copy Of” in the file name.
    2. OK. There is no Script Editor in the Tools menu, but I found it under Extensions > App Scripts
    3. OK.
    4. OK. I have copied the URL in the dialog box, even though the steps in the script itself say not to.
    5. Step 1 – OK. I kept the “Copy Of” in the file name. Step 2 – This is where I get lost. Where does the document ID come from? Where exactly does this get pasted? What does “the first copy” refer to? The sheet copied in the first step, or in the sheet is step 5-1?

One other thing is that my sheet never has a Tilt menu item like the image on the page. Looking at the sheets from Tilt, there is no Tilt menu item either. Any ideas?

6. Frankenbrewer

Frankenbrewer Well-Known Member

I have 2 tilts, Orang and Blue. I just got the Blue for Xmas. In November, the orange tilt stopped logging to google sheets. I paid it no mind since I was getting temp and est,. ABV. Now, I'm still not getting any logging to the google sheets and I have been in contact with Noah Neibaron and he cannot tell me why its not logging. I have it running on my Samsung S10+. It's the same phone I have used when the logging was working. You folks have any suggestions?

7. avantassel

avantassel Moderator
    Staff Member

Brewer and Software Engineer
    Home Page:
    Copy the Document ID from the URL of the Tilt Cloud Template.

Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 9.48.38 AM.png