Thoughts on using watermelon for your water

Lgav

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hello so i read in a different post on facebook that someone cut up and juiced a bunch of watermelons and used that for there water in a beer. I was just wondering if this is something anyone has ever done and for a five gallon batch in the strike water that is about 15l that would be alot of melon. Would fermenting ferment out all the watermelon flavour? Any and all input would be awesome

seems that the beer would be super dry, all that sugar fermenting out, but I don't see why it couldn't be done, even if just part of the brewing water.

If I was after the flavor, I would add it late in fermentation to preserve some of the natural sugars

Watermelons have a lot of water in them so you could do it. I doubt much flavor will last through fermentation and what is there would be masked by malt and hops.

I second Hogarthe. It's an experiment worth doing but watermelon flavor is so subtle, I doubt much of anything would come through. You'd get a slight amount of added sugar (watermelon isn't really all that sweet) leading to some drying. I just looked up: You add 9.4 grams of sugar per cup of watermelon. That would be about 5.25 ounces of sugar per gallon of watermelon juice for 15 points of total gravity.

the way I use watermelon in my watermelon wheat is adding 2 mini watermelons pureed in the secondairy but if you do use this method rack it to another secondairy or filter the beer though steel mesh to not gunk up your bottling equipment and watch out for an eruption but yeah that's how I get watermelon flavor

I used watermelon in a gose. Added about 2kg after 5 days. First attempt added pulp after 7 days had very little flavor.

Back