Thoughts on Salflager S23 Yeast?

Luke Piirik

Trial Member
Reaction score
I have used it in the past and had an absolute great pilsner turn out. I fermented at about 50 F but I've heard mixed opinions on this yeast at any temperature. I'm currently remaking that awesome pils I made a year ago but my cold room is at 40F right now not 50F. Thoughts on fermenting a pils with this yeast at 40F? I have yet to get a fermenting chamber so control over the temperature is out of the question at the moment.

ideally 12-15°C (53-59°F)... ok @ 9-22°C (48-72°F) according to yeast spec.

Looks like 40f is too cool! But I have no experience of this yeast.

If you have a cold room, consider fermwrap and an stc-1000. Then you can hold stable any temp warmer than that.

I use...

Plug-in Digital Thermostat and a Freestanding Oil-Filled Radiator 500W... In a cupboard

If the beer is in a primary pail, you can add an inexpensive aquarium heater attached to a digital thermostat. Shouldn't take much to heat it from 40 F to about 48 F. If it's in a carboy, you can get one of those large plastic containers, fill it with water, put the carboy in it, and use the aquarium heater to heat the water in the container to the proper temperature. That's how I made my first pilsners.

Aren't there those little strap heaters for wine everywhere?

Back