This hobby is becoming a problem.....

MrBIP

Premium Member
Reaction score
This hobby is becoming a problem ..... no, not because I'm drinking more beer!
I just finished the last of a 3rd iteration brew, it is not my brew schedule until early April, I can't figure out what I would bump to plug this one in sooner. I don't have enough time or equipment to brew more than I'm now. gggrrrrrr... why does a person have to work for living!

here here, I hate it when I run out too soon, usually its a really good beer you can't put down too lol
found a cheap and easy way to brew fast with the 15 minute on the stove method (extract), literately takes 1 hour then into the fermenter. it could be an ale too

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/r ... nute-lager

by the way this ale beer I made with 15 minutes of boil seemed to ferment for 9 days and is very high in alcohol for a light beer I have to share a link to what I did

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/r ... minute-ale

it is a head knocker, "I think boiling DME less make yeast eat more"

Really good idea: With extract, the only reasons to boil beyond the ten minutes or so necessary to sanitize it is to increase hop utilization or to increase kettle caramelization, neither of which are necessary for a light lager. Brilliant!

I have it on tap, calling it just simply "Light" .. I used my portable 1800 watt Induction plate, so easy :D
oh and you can use sazz hops, its flavorless and taste very clean

Attachments

• WP_20150119_004.jpg
    WP_20150119_004.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 1,418
A few years ago I did a whole series of short boil recipes with Larry and we actually sent samples back and forth across the US. Here's one we both did with success.
http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/r ... -blonde-15
I've recently been working on some modifications to the process and equipment needed to make an extremely drinkable, quick and cheap beer. This is for the people who come into my store and want to make cheap beer and or step up from a Mr. Beer Kit.
I'm making one now and will enter it into a competition to see how it stacks up against some of the other good local brewers.
My target is to do 6 or so styles.
Brian

"Flavorless and tastes very clean...." So you made Coors? ;-)

the beer is not flavorless the sazz has no hop flavor in the beer but yes kind of a hint of lemon and a little sweetness in there somewhere, perfect balance too

How much Saaz did you use? I use it frequently and get great flavor out of it.... Generally I use a charge of up to an ounce at ten minutes or less to get flavor.

on another light beer similar I used sazz and didn't want any hop flavor, it was a bushlight type of beer but ,1/2 ounce at 10 just to cut the sweetness down, extract can bee too sweet sometimes

The beer fridge is empty ... :eek:
I had to buy beer.
The holidays got me all out of kilter and I landed in waiting mode.
It's all good, getting some "research" done, had a few good beers today that I've never had before.

Have you made that? Did you Eise it?

no, but the recipe looks good. look at the link, its just in the name for the story, the guy accidentally froze his beer into a slush and decided to rename it, I don't advise doing that lol

I didn't even read the heading, just saw the name and looked at the recipe. So a good accident, I suppose.
Have read about Eised homebrew, but I don't recall I've ever had an Eise beer and not sure I'd want to risk a batch and/or bucket/careboy to try such a thing.

I edited the title so not to get confused that this a normal process , (freezing is optional) after the boil lol

MrBIP said:
I didn't even read the heading, just saw the name and looked at the recipe. So a good accident, I suppose.
Have read about Eised homebrew, but I don't recall I've ever had an Eise beer and not sure I'd want to risk a batch and/or bucket/careboy to try such a thing.
I've had my fair share of Eisbocks, and honestly, if I had the setup, it would be something I would love to try.
A cheap and easy "poor man's Eisbock" is too simply chill a bottle to a point where is just short of freezing in the bottle. Open the bottle and pour the beer into receptacle. As soon as the pressure is released, you will see the beer produce ice particles. As they float to the top, skim them off. Once the beer has reached drinking temp, ~20% volume should have been removed through the ice particles, which are mostly water, leaving a poor man's Eisbock ;-)
It isn't as effective as properly done, but can give you a rough idea of what might become when a brew is transformed into an Eisbock.

I just love small crystals of ice in my beer, Ive had a bunch from a cowboy rodeo I used to attend where they had beer bottles in oak barrels of ice water palatially frozen. on a hot blistering day, nothing better

Back