Thinking about joining the local homebrew club...

Sunfire96

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I know a few of you are in homebrew clubs, is it something you would recommend? Any cons against joining?

My main reasons are to gain more education and exposure to brewing in general, have more experienced palates tasting my beer and giving feedback, making some new friends, learn more about how to enter competitions, and possibly learning about the process to become BJCP certified.

My BYO subscription is about to run up and I don't think I'll renew, so I was debating using those funds to join AHA or for the yearly dues for the local club.

Cheers!

One of the main reasons I belong to our local club is to take advantage of bulk buys for malt and hops. They really do try to bring quality speakers to some meetings, but I have only been to a handful of meetings in the last 3 years. Unfortunately the meetings are the same night as my guys night, so I haven't really had an opportunity to get to know anyone.

I dob't belong to a homebrew club, but I have many interests and belong to a few clubs. If you just pay dues but don't get involved, your financial support is appreciated but you are missing a lot. Getting involved takes effort, but the rewards are often in proportion to the effort. Also a good way to transition into a new geographic area and make friends.

Go for it.

I know a few of you are in homebrew clubs, is it something you would recommend? Any cons against joining?

My main reasons are to gain more education and exposure to brewing in general, have more experienced palates tasting my beer and giving feedback, making some new friends, learn more about how to enter competitions, and possibly learning about the process to become BJCP certified.

My BYO subscription is about to run up and I don't think I'll renew, so I was debating using those funds to join AHA or for the yearly dues for the local club.

Cheers!
Attend a few meetings and see if you like the overall vibe. Some clubs (like AC/BC) are laid back and really interested in helping each other become better brewers. Some are cutthroat competitors. Think of it like a brewing forum: If there are a lot of flame wars and hypercritical comments, you probably don't want to hang around.

What, you don't want to read any more of my articles? :D:D:D

Attend a few meetings and see if you like the overall vibe. Some clubs (like AC/BC) are laid back and really interested in helping each other become better brewers. Some are cutthroat competitors. Think of it like a brewing forum: If there are a lot of flame wars and hypercritical comments, you probably don't want to hang around.

What, you don't want to read any more of my articles? :D:D:D
I love your articles Nosy! But I only read the magazine on my phone and the UI is terrible!! The issues aren't even in chronological order :eek:

Last edited:
I'm thinking about joining the local club in my new town, but they charge a fee a year at a time and this year's term is half over and I can't see paying a years fee for a half year. Maybe in Jan.

I'm part of the local one in Edmonton, the discount at the LHBS alone warrants the membership. It was kind of a full of itself group before covid but moving to a discord channel for the last year has actually really improved the level of discourse.

I don't participate in a LHBC at the moment, my social anxiety and general hatred of my fellow man prevents me. I have in the past and I even helped form a club when I lived in DC. I highly recommend join one, IF they are active. Monthly meetings. Bottle shares. Internal competitions. Etc.

Other people make we want to stab them.
Ok, I'm not there yet. Knives are too messy.

They leave me alone, I leave them alone. But I continue to work at it.

Ok, I'm not there yet. Knives are too messy.

They leave me alone, I leave them alone. But I continue to work at it.
I agree, I'm more non-social than anti-social. Yes there is a difference and what most people think is antisocial is actually nonsocial

Back