Thin Stout Recipe For Comment

Wow. Several responses. All comments are appreciated.

First, the rice hulls were added to separate the grain in the sock for maximum/uniform water penetration. Lactose addition was an attempt to take the sharpness off the de-bittered black malt. Maltodextrine, well because I had it and it bumped the FG into the range i wanted. I used the corn/cane sugar to adjust alcohol content.

This recipe is/was admittedly an "original".

As far as what I am trying to make - A beer with all of myself and my wife's favorite ingredients. We both like super dark grain flavor (maybe charcoal or ashtray? like), and she likes bitter and overly hoppy flavor. Regardless of the choices it is bubbling away now....we shall see.

I have made other recipes close to this and they have matured and changed flavor up to 1 year in the bottle. The last batch was most delicious after 15 months in the bottle. Obviously i'm not a traditionalist, the last beer I made consisted of the below and was very good....in my opinion.

Ingredients:

G Dingemans Debittered Black Malt - Maillard Malts® 1 lb.
G Crisp Roasted Barley - Maillard Malts® 1 lb.
G Simpsons Chocolate Malt - Maillard Malts® 1 lb.
G Maillard Malts® Flaked Oats 1 lb.
G Maillard Malts® Flaked Barley 1 lb.
G Rice Hulls - Maillard Malts® 1 lb.
E Dark Malt Extract Syrup - Maillard Malts® 6 lbs.
E Munton & Fison (UK) Dark DME 3 lbs.
M Maltodextrine 0.5 lb.
H US Centennial Pellet Hops 1 oz.
H UK Northdown Pellet Hops 1 oz.
I Irish Moss 1 tsp.
Y Safbrew BE-256 1 pkt.

I like the looks of that recipe- balanced but roasty and with some flaked grains to provide head, body, and smoothness.

You don't need the rice hulls, and definitely not a full pound, but they won't hurt anything (except sucking up a lot of liquid).

Interesting recipe (regardless of whether you change the original or not), I'll bet it'll drink just fine either way. Worst case scenario, you can always age it for a while to see if it mellows into something good or cook some beans or a stew with it as the liquid.

the only comment i could give is that in my experience, too much sugar (cane or corn), i get a cidery flavor going on. Not really appealing for my tastebuds. I have found that limiting it to 1 pound or less tends to do better. other than that, i say go for it!

Back