Thin Saison

Bubba, I plan to allow A Saison I just made last week to secondary in a keg for 6 months and add Brett for that 6 months. If I then just add 5 oz of sugar to the keg as you’ve stated, do I need to add yeast too because of the 6 months that will have past?
No. There should enough suspended yeast to fully carbonate the keg.

I have not used Brett, but will it do much in the way of fermentation since all of the preventable sugars are already converted?

What brett strain are you looking to add? Some of them will attenuate far further than others (though it depends on the grist). Not that it matters a lot, as you're doing the secondary in a keg. You can just add a spunding valve or do some purging before bottling to get it down to the right carbonation level. And if it's low you can force carbonate at the end to get it ready for bottling.

It doesn't sound like it from your question, but if you were going to purge the keg and bottle still after the six months that would be the one where you could struggle to get the bottle conditioning right. A lot of the yeast will drop out in that time. You could add a specific bottling yeast during bottling, like CBC 1 or just any neutral dry yeast would do.

The brett can ferment a lot that sacchromyces can't ferment.

More detail than you're probably wanting - http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Brettanomyces

No. There should enough suspended yeast to fully carbonate the keg.

I have not used Brett, but will it do much in the way of fermentation since all of the preventable sugars are already converted?
The Brett is introduced at 1.010. It will take it down to 1.004 or so. I think its purpose is more for flavor than fermentation. This is my second time using Brett in secondary. The first is a Belgian dark strong. It’s been on the Brett for 5 months now. The Brett has given it that earthy flavor that I love so much. I hope to be packaging it in a few more months.

Back