There's a Midwest IPA now?

jmcnamara

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I was looking over the seminars at this year's homebrew con, and one of the descriptions mentioned a Midwest IPA.
I'm still a little on the fence about east vs west coast IPAs, and how distinct those "styles" are from each other.

If an East coast ipa is a maltier American ipa (or a hoppier English Pale ale), is a Midwest ipa just a little hoppier than that?

Coming soon to a BJCP style guide near you, Colorado IPA, followed by a Tex-Mex IPA, then a Tri-State IPA, not to be outdone by the Light Brown with a touch of wheat and anise IPA....

Enough styles, already, BJCP, you're diluting them to meaninglessness.

While I agree, I don't think this was an official style thing. Are east and west coast officially recognized?

Why don't we do this intense compartmentalization with brown ales?

since Im from that area and have a brewery near buy that produces a beer with that in the name I can only assume from drinking it that its a lighter version of west coast or east coast ipa

the way I taste it, it is smoother and no sharp bitterness even though the ibu says 100 or so and no heavy hop bomb or vegetable flavor but well rounded and a good blend of malt and hop ratio

the taste should be a good slightly sweet first tung followed by hop then malt then lingering hop then a dry finish

I hope it isn't Green Line or Green Mile or whatever the Goose swill is called. :)

To Nosy's point, do they at least have a best in show beer, an overall winner out of all submissions in all categories combined at the competitions?

I don't think a location type of ipa is in any category like west coast or east coast or mid west, its just a name

Ozarks Mountain Brew said:
I don't think a location type of ipa is in any category like west coast or east coast or mid west, its just a name
Is that in reply to me? I was just wondering if they pick one beer as an overall winner at competitions.

Guidelines for styles that go "by the book" are a lot like when a person has a degree but can't do their job for crap. We all know what IPA's (or any style) are supposed to be there is no reason to dissect it it's just personal taste - like music is.

heh. try getting a degree in music.

Back