There has to be a better way...

I can relate. That's why I left BIAB. It was a big decision getting another bag for my mt. I don't really 'clean' the bag anymore. I dump it out and hang it outside to dry. Once dry, I basically just give it a couple shakes, dust it off real quick and call it done.

I use something like this to get down in my vertical barrel smoker. Works great. Scroll down about 1/2 the page. Hoe scoop.
https://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=256130
No that is the short and shody way I admire that for sure! I tore the heck outta my Bag last brew session on the return elbow to kettle so I'm in the market for a new one before I hit the kettle next.

You know I was thinking a "Show Me ya Brew Bag" thread might be a goer
You know hung out for all to see:D!

I don't really clean the bag lining the MLT either- I just turn it inside out and shake it and hang it on one of the fences. Once it dries, I shake it out again and it goes in the washer.
I use it because for a couple of reasons- one is because with the bottom draining MLT, even with a nice (expensive) false bottom, I still had some grain getting under it and causing some issues with my pump. And I hated cleaning that. Two, all of the grain comes out in one fell swoop, with no itty bits hanging out in the crevices or sides. The false bottom then just needs a rinse instead of a scrub to get all of the particles out.
The bag is really really big, so the grain is very loose in the MLT and it hasn't impacted my efficiency or the way I sparge.

Yooper, how many pounds do you typically have in a batch?

I brew 5-gallon batches and mash in a 13 gallon rectangular (blue) cooler. I mash in the kitchen and brew outside. Once the boil has started I haul the mash tun outside to scoop & dump the spent grains. It only took me one brew session to realize the wisdom of doing this outside! Once outside it doesn't matter if I spill some grain on the ground. Even at the maximum of 22 pounds of grain I can fairly easily move the cooler outside. Once empty I simply hose out the remnants and bring it back inside for a proper cleaning.

I use the metal scoop from my grain can. A friend uses a plastic feed scoop that’s bigger and squared off in the front. It works great.

A Milk or a Clorox jug with the bottom cut out will do as well and if you have a plastic tun, it won't scratch!

I'm with PhilJohn, what doesn't get scooped out for bread or waffles gets hoisted to the shoulder for the walk to the compost pile and it's about the only time I wish I had a SST bazooka in the bottom.

I built my tun out a 13 gal stainless stock pot, just installed a bulkhead and a bazooka screen, insulated with an inch of reflectix around the outside. Just dump it into a bushel basket and feed it to Dad's steers. Cleans up in about a minute with a water hose(scrub and sanitize before next use).

If my brothers farm wasn't 5 hours away I'd save it for the animals, as it is I just dump the grain in the garbage with the rest of the biological waste.

Back