The differences?

ChilliMayne

Trial Member
Reaction score
Is it just me, but trying to find out the differences between American Pale Ale, American Amber Ale and IPA equals zero? As all three 'styles' are allowed to look and taste the same! When I read BJCP styles explanation for each they are wide and varied. For example if I make a brew and classify it as Amber ale, who's to say its actually an IPA?
Flavour: moderate to high hop
Appearance: Amber to coppery/Golden to Amber!

Are we trying too much to categorise? :roll:

There are IBU level differences, but the actual flavor difference between a pale ale and a 'light' IPA can be minimal. Amber Ales I would say are usually more herbal in flavor and I have not come across a citrusy amber, but that could be just my perception of the category.

I guess they overlap a little. For me, I use categories when they're useful, ignore them when they aren't. As an example, when I was stationed in Germany I loved Altbier (big surprise, eh?). When I got into brewing it was handy to know that term. In order to find an Altbier kit (I did; my first batch. It was awesome.) it was good to have more to go on than 'that dark, dry, smooth, bitter beer I used to drink in Mainz'. As far as commercial beers go, 'Amber Ale' just seems to mean (sorry) 'wimpy pale ale'. Being an incurable hophead, not my cup of wort. If you aren't entering it in a contest, I say brew what you want, call it whatever. The name don't hurt the drinking of it none.

Back