That's it you're screwed (marry me )

the freaking media is outrageous, I get mad even listing to them, most reports are not even credible

I was not a supporter but by gosh deal with it people, its done lets move on and be happy lol

Think much of our media is heading down the same path .
Overly sensationalist and often biased , we have very strict media ownership laws here to prevent monopolies but they don't seem to do a great deal .

My TV is mostly tuned to one of the state funded but independent stations that must by charter show both sides of the story .

Think much of our media is heading down the same path .
Overly sensationalist and often biased , we have very strict media ownership laws here to prevent monopolies but they don't seem to do a great deal .

My TV is mostly tuned to one of the state funded but independent stations that must by charter show both sides of the story .
When news goes to a for-profit model, their focus turns from giving truthful stories to keeping eyeballs glued to commercials. An example of the kinds of distortions: You hear about every one of the 250 times someone shoots a bad guy invading their home or some such but nothing about the 20,000 suicides by gun. Likewise terrorism: You're much more likely to be one of the 250 bad guys shot than to be killed or injured in a terrorist attack even if the black swan event that was 9/11 is included in the count. News is entertainment, there's very little fact to be had there.

News has always been for profit.

I actually try to keep up with current events local and worldwide and even browsing back and forth between the bias you can't get the real skinny anymore. As Mark pointed out public broadcast systems try.

The ABC and SBS news here are certainly not for profit (mostly tax payer funded ) and are pretty good , there is some leftist bias if any but no matter which party is in govt they don't pull punches when we get screwed over

I think the real issue is where the source of information comes from, look and listen to according to what sources, are our sources seeing it with their own eyes, getting a second person to verify it and then reporting it, in most cases no its heresay from some other media company or government public agent, "not at all credible" and its just not right, ok my rants over ;)

News has always been for profit.
Nope. In the 50's and 60's, newsrooms were loss leaders. CBS started the "for-profit" trend with "60 Minutes." Now, that once-great show is reduced to muckraking and sensationalist news just like Nightline and the others. As for "good" sources of news, PBS and NPR in the States are great, mostly because for the most part people like me pay for them. There's still a lot of getting a talking head from both sides of an issue, letting them argue and avoiding presenting the real facts (which are generally somewhere in the middle) but then what can you expect of a profession - journalism - that every year graduates more students in the major than there are positions in the field. That in itself causes me to question every journalists' critical thinking skills.

Well, I don't remember the 50s and 60s. Too much LDS? :D

Maybe its time to come back to the motherland. After brexit there'll be a wall built to keep Belgium beer where it belongs.

Back