Temp in keezer/kegerator

EvanAltman36

Trial Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out the best temp at which to maintain my kegerator, just wondering what others do. I'm thinking that 40 is a pretty decent temp, but don't want to get so cold that I negatively impact the flavor of my beer. I know there are style guides out there, but I don't have the option of going with multiple temps. Of course, the temp of the beer will only continue to go up once it's out of the keg anyway.

I would think it has more to do with what you like to drink, I like what I drink 50 to 54 f so I just keep in the cellar

all the best

S_M

When I bottle, I typically carbed them in a dark closet in the mid-to-upper 60's, then set them aside in a lower part of the house at cooler temps for another couple of weeks. But everything I'm reading on the storage of draft beer is saying that you need to keep the temps around 36-38, and the advice on the kegging calculator here uses 38 as a default. I know that the higher the alcohol content and the more complex the beer, the higher temps you would serve. FYI, the beer I'll be kegging is a relatively light summer ale and then I'm doing a honey lager next.

EvanAltman36 said:
the advice on the kegging calculator here uses 38 as a default.

That I believe that is for carbonation, now I do know if I am drinking a Molson or a Heineken I do like then 38 or 40 ish

a Founder's ale or a St.Peter's ale just cool is perfect once your beer is carbonated in the keg you can store it at room temps then chill to serve

all the best

S_M

Just found this comment, which makes sense:

The problem with increasing temperature is carbonation. As temperature increases, the pressure must increase to keep the same level of carbonation.
Example: If you currently are at 40* and 11psi, you've got about 2.4 volumes of CO2, which is right about the sweet spot for a pale/amber ale. If you bump up the temp to 50*, you'll need roughly 16psi to keep the same 2.4 volumes of CO2. 16psi at your current line length probably equals foam bomb. Lower psi would mean insufficient carbonation, depending on style

The best part of all this: I get to experiment with what works best and what I like, and I get to drink beer in order to test the results!

Back