Temp Controller, which to buy?

Foster82

Trial Member
Reaction score
So I am in the market for a new temp controller. Currently I have a TC-9102D-HV and I am extremely pleased with it, however the price has gone from $45 to $98 since I purchased mine. With that I am looking at STC-1000 for about $20.

For those of you using the STC-1000 are you please with it, or should I take my $20 and buy something better. The only thing it will be running is a 100 watt (1.2 amps) heating element and a small fan. I am guessing the 10 amp relays should be able to easily handle the load.

I have two STC-1000 operating, one on a freezer and the other on my styrofoam box for fermentation control, and I am very pleased.

I have an STC-1000 controlling my fermentation chamber, and I am quite pleased with it. It was easy to wire this controller. The display is Centigrade, but converting is easy. For the money, I would have to say this is the controller to buy.

they make a Celsius and a Fahrenheit version for that model, also in DC input or 120V so be careful when buying Celsius is cheaper but both come from china and will take 2 weeks to get here

Got mine in two days from Amazon Prime. They are made in China and mine are Celsius only. Normally one is not changing the controlled temperature very often so it isn't very very difficult to do the conversions.

Dan

Quality Home Brew said:
they make a Celsius and a Fahrenheit version for that model, also in DC input or 120V so be careful when buying Celsius is cheaper but both come from china and will take 2 weeks to get here

Do you have a link for the one in Fahrenheit? I all I can seem to find is the one in Celsius, which isn't a big deal. However if I can get one in Fahrenheit it would be much preferred.

Excellent fine, Quality Home Brew! Thanks

Those Fahrenheit controllers are single stage only. They can only control one function. That's fine if that is what you want.
The Celsius STC 1000 have two relays and can control both cooling and heat cycles, perfect for a fermentation chamber

I was wondering if anybody has seen or used the Johnson Digital Temp. controller. They seem to be very popular with online home brewing websites and local home brew stores. It is quite expensive (65 to 80 dollars) compared to the STC-1000. Is the expense worth it? What are you getting for that extra expense? Thanks for the help.

I dont have, and never have used the Johnson, but I love my STC. Simple, accurate, and inexpensive.

Greta's Brew said:
I was wondering if anybody has seen or used the Johnson Digital Temp. controller. They seem to be very popular with online home brewing websites and local home brew stores. It is quite expensive (65 to 80 dollars) compared to the STC-1000. Is the expense worth it? What are you getting for that extra expense? Thanks for the help.

We sell the Johnson temp controller at the store for $75 I think. Although it's more pricey, you can just plug and play. No mounting or wiring is needed.
I use the Solid state model and am pleased with it. FWIW

Brian

Back