Tell us all of your oak techniques

I think i'm going to let mine sit in the secondary for at least 30 days, and then i will bottle it when I'm able after that.....
BUT.... i've never had a brew that i thought was over oak'd with flavor so my gut says maybe 60 days?
Plus how long can you let it sit without wanting to taste some:) a great way to learn self discipline. I've got none:rolleyes:.

I'm wondering this also about oak.....(NOT going to try it this time around with my sour attempt... but)....
........ say i'm going to soak my oak in wine prior for 30 or 60 days, before adding to the secondary....
..... would i benefit more from Both Worlds by adding more chips half way threw, or adding new wine on top of the previously soaked chips?

Plus how long can you let it sit without wanting to taste some:) a g..reat way to learn self discipline. I've got none:rolleyes:.

i'm still paranoid as hell when i pull the rubber stopper when i transfer to the bottling bucket..... there is No Way i test drink until all the bottles are filled my friend, and i drink from the bucket when im done, or i pop the test bottle!

Do you want to try one of my sours buddy? I will send you one, and i will send you one from Colorado??...:)......sometime, in the future!

i'm still paranoid as hell when i pull the rubber stopper when i transfer to the bottling bucket..... there is No Way i test drink until all the bottles are filled my friend, and i drink from the bucket when im done, or i pop the test bottle!

Do you want to try one of my sours buddy? I will send you one, and i will send you one from Colorado??...:)......sometime, in the future!
Mmm cheers Joshua but I'm not sure that sour will make it through customs :D. I've never tried a sour beer I hear the Belgians rule the roost when it comes to these things with their lambics you sure need a lot of time to let things play out in them as some don't begin till one year post fermentation and then they usually use a blend of sours when bottling! A whole new world of brewing to me;). I'm happy with a 2 week turn around with my ales ATM but I know good things do come to those who wait mate! Cheers and good luck:)

Mmm cheers Joshua but I'm not sure that sour will make it through customs :D. I've never tried a sour beer I hear the Belgians rule the roost when it comes to these things with their lambics you sure need a lot of time to let things play out in them as some don't begin till one year post fermentation and then they usually use a blend of sours when bottling! A whole new world of brewing to me;). I'm happy with a 2 week turn around with my ales ATM but I know good things do come to those who wait mate! Cheers and good luck:)
Depending on what you do, a sour can be ready in about only 3 days or so more than a standard ale. I agree that lambics, Brett, and the like take forever. but a kettle or mash sour is only a few days extra. highly recommend it

Depending on what you do, a sour can be ready in about only 3 days or so more than a standard ale. I agree that lambics, Brett, and the like take forever. but a kettle or mash sour is only a few days extra. highly recommend it
Well now,I have a ph meter I'll be able to accurately measure sourness of mash!

My stuff showed up yesterday for my Golden Sour Ale, and i just got done mashing in.

My oak sticks haven't showed up yet.

Lady at my brew store suggested i use some crushed Weyerman Acidulated Malt instead of Pale Malted Barley..... we'll see what happens after about 24 hours i guess!

------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/422982/muffy-s-golden-ak47-sour-ale

My stuff showed up yesterday for my Golden Sour Ale, and i just got done mashing in.

My oak sticks haven't showed up yet.

Lady at my brew store suggested i use some crushed Weyerman Acidulated Malt instead of Pale Malted Barley..... we'll see what happens after about 24 hours i guess!

------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/422982/muffy-s-golden-ak47-sour-ale

To get that sourness aye Joshua I get tart when using too much acidulated which is suppose is on par with your style. You can get oak chips from your local bbq store they have various oaks and timbers if you need them on the double.
You don't muck around but I'm Sure you've put 3 - my 2 brews down so far lately.

Well that's good to know buddy, i was a bit scared to stray off the chosen path i was following from my book! I'm quite handy when it comes to shooting video and editing something worth watching,.... i will try my best to remember to make a video when i unravel the bucket from the heap and reveal the sweet soured mash! lol

I have another 1/2 pound of the sour grain goodness, how much of a tart kick would you think i would get from just seeping it into a Hefe or IPA?..... and how long do you think it would require to pull it from the grains? I'm really leaning twards making a mango hefe, and if it had a tart kicker, that might be a hit!

Just racked that sour into secondary and added the oak stick and some cubes.

Kicking myself in the butt for doing a wine soak on them in a growler, next time ill get one of those huge canning jars. The win tasted great and the chardonnay oak smelled awesome. Tasted some of what was left in the primary, kinda tasted like green olive juice. There was a alot of yeast in there, and i used a Saison smackpak.... maybe that had something to with it? Smells and tastes like beer!

I have yet to find a potable combination of beer and wine....

Extremely sour beers seem to have the best oak and wine taste, but i like champagne also...
I don't believe i soured my brew up enough, next time i will let it get a whole lot moldier and my oak will be as wined up as one home brewer can make them!

I know two beers in particular aged in wine barrels I've had that were good. Mélange a Trois by Nebraska Brewing Company is aged in French oak Chardonnay barrels. and earlier this week I had Snowball Saison by To Øl, which they claim to be aged in "white wine" barrels.

I know it! I don't believe i've ever had a bad beer that was aged with those brews up there.

I'm getting a bit impatient with my oak'd sour, might try to bottle it this week sometime if it's remotely good or not

Back