Tart Hefeweizen

Nosybear

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Folks, for the second time I've come upon a very tart hefeweizen. I mean lactic acid tart. And it's GOOD!!! The first is the hefeweizen at Pint's Pub in downtown Denver and the second, a bottled Hefe from Plank Brauerei - a World Beer Cup Winner. So here's the thought: Brew a Hefeweizen and introduce lactobacillus into the secondary. Or ferment with Berliner Weisse yeast. I just wrote the brewer, hopefully he'll share his secret and if so, I'll share it here. Meanwhile, I'd like to hear your opinion on sour hefeweizen and my idea to make one.

The Berliner Weisse yeast will give it that banana clove flavor right? Is that what you are shooting for?

I'd try to get it as dry as possible - below 1.010.

I had a grapefruit hefe awhile back from Canada (I think it was from the Whistler brewery), it was very good. Other than that, that's all I got off the top of my head.

LarryBrewer said:
The Berliner Weisse yeast will give it that banana clove flavor right?
It shouldn't.
Berliner Weisse yeast has a completely different flavor profile than a "classic" Weißbier/Weizen yeast. (where you would normally get the banana flavor)
I find Berliner Weisse to be much closer to a lambic than a wheat beer in flavor.

The Plank Brewerei Hefe had the clove-banana notes, subdued, but was tart. I e-mailed the brewer today and he recommended using acidulated malt rather than the bacteria. That being the case, I'll just get some lactic acid, mix it in and when I get enough tartness, bottle. Acidulated, as far as I can tell, is just pale malt sprayed with lactic acid solution so I'll just use the straight acid to get the effect I'm looking for.

I recently made a tamarind orange wheat and it is really tart. We had tamarind as a special ingredient in a brew off competition and its great in the wheat beer.

Back