Tannins?

I still use my RIMS to change my rest temps / step mash and I recirculate for the entire mash time while using the RIMS to hold rest temps. I have been careful to use a narrower temp window while step mashing as this was a fairly recent discovery.

Also, I've had a couple of my low attenuated beers come around with some extended lagering. They went from meh to really good. I'm not sure if it was the Safale-05 that kept chugging away at lower temps or what but they certainly dried out and the malty sweetness dissipated and the beers cleared. I did use Salifine at kegging time but there was no immediate effects.

I'm just happy to be brewing quaffable brews again that are worth sharing. Good luck and don't give up. Whatever the issue is, you will find it if you keep trying and researching and in the end, you'll be a better brewer for it!

I use mainly 05, seems like it all tastes better the longer it ages. Had the first sample of the beer I just Brewer a few days ago, needs lots of aging!! there was none of the off flavors I had been having problems with, I am very optimistic and only changed th ph and left the clairitan out also. Come Christmas, its gunna be increduble! Racking to the secondary in a few days and an Alaskan Amber clone next. Looks to another two mash brew.

Just tasted an altbier that was brewed on Oct 1st! Wow, delish! It wses the high ph of my water, thanks for all the great advice from everyone!! An imperial stout is in the secondary, two months now, should be ready to taste in a month or so!! Brewing has become much fun again!

Just tasted an altbier that was brewed on Oct 1st! Wow, delish
Nicht so alt, eh?

No, seriously, so glad it came out great, and especially happy to hear that "Brewing has become much fun again".

Back