Talk to me about Golden Naked Oats

Josh Hughes

Lifetime Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I do not make NEIPA which I see uses this malt a lot. My interest is that it’s an English malt (Simpsons) and people are using it in stouts, brown ales, milds etc. of course the next 4 months that’s what I’ll be brewing. Anyone used them? What percentages? How much for mouthfeel? Simpsons says they are a crystal malt so I assume use less crystal if using this.
Thanks

looked it up, that is a weird one. I am intrigued.

from thier website:
This huskless oat crystal malt is quite simply delicious. An exotic ingredient for the adventurous brewer, it brings a subtle nutty flavour. Its creaminess brings mouthfeel and balance to strong, hop forward beers. One taste and we’re sure you’ll be inspired to start creating a new recipe.
I may have to try these in my stouts instead of flaked oats.

Golden Naked Oats....what kind of web site do you think this is Josh?? :p

I've only used them in a Surly Bender clone (Norther Brewer recipe). In that recipe, Golden Naked Oats made up 5% of the grain bill.

I have only used it in a NEIPA. It does create a creamy smooth mouthfeel but it also leaves a bit of haze in your beer. I sometimes sub out flaked oats for this malt.

I’m thinking of maybe putting 2-5% in my Scottish and Irish ales. My next 4-5 batches stay in that realm.

Okay, this is weird, I have some golden naked oats, but I can't find a recipe that I ever used them in! Tells me I've had it for a while, probably a pound there (454g)
20240124_233748.jpg

My Hazy brews (NEIPA) get flaked wheat, Flaked oats, and sometimes wheat malt. I don’t think I would put a "crystal" malt in a Hazy, but maybe it would work.

I've used them a bit and my wife uses them a bit more. Though I doubt we'd be able to separate their contribution from the other malts that are supposed to give more body and mouth feel. I've used them in stouts and hazy IPAs, my wife in hazy IPAs. I'm keen to hear how they go in more malty styles. They should probably work well there.

Back