Taking the Plunge

Hmmmm... Meds in beer.... ??? :roll:

Saison has dropped another 6 points in five days.... Looking better. I'm getting some warm alcohols on the tongue when I taste a sample; otherwise, everything seems to be going well. So my advice to myself, the yeast has been doing its job for 12,000 years, relax, it knows what it's doing.

Still chugging along - down to 1.034, looking for at least 1.019. Sample is yummy but dang, this stuff is slow! The only effect of the heat I can tell is the alcohol is a bit warm; otherwise, a very nice Saison in the making, if it ever makes.

So it dropped from 1.040 to 1.034 in the past 8 days... I bet the rate is slowing as alcohol increases and nutrients run low.

Add the champagne yeast yet?

I did, and it didn't help a bit. But everything on Wyeast and White Labs' site say this behavior is normal from this yeast so I'll continue to ride it out. So far, no off flavors except for a bit of alcohol warmth - likely just due to high alcohol content. I was wondering if I made up a well-oxygenated starter of something alcohol tolerant and dropped it in if I could accelerate the process? Of course, I could just stop being a mother hen and let it go as long as it's still fermenting and I can rouse the yeast....

At the rate your sampling this beer, you are going to drink it all before it makes out of the fermenter! Keep us posted.

I give. I brought it in today to cool, I'm going to pitch a starter of San Diego Super Yeast (WLP-090) and see if we can't get rid of the last of that sugar. I don't think it's going to get any better flavor and I'm tired of waiting on it and, as Foster says, if I keep sampling, it'll be gone before it ferments.

Another month in the garage and maybe it would finish. Sigh. I'd recommend the yeast for anyone who can't cool their fermenters in the summer but make a big starter and be prepared to be patient. And it gives great flavors. Tasting the sample at 90°, the only thing "off" I can taste is, if I really strain at it, a slight bit of warm alcohol. But I need the equipment and so, in it goes for "finishing" of the last fifteen or so points.

Okay, I now know how to use the Wyeast 3724/White Labs 565 and their close cousins the Farmhouse strains in a honkin' big beer: Make a starter. Two or three generations, if you have time. Pitch and ferment hot until the Belgian stalls, then make a starter of WLP090 (San Diego Super Yeast) and pitch that to dry the beer the rest of the way out. Otherwise, you could end up waiting months for the primary yeast to finish. Hothouse Saison is coming along nicely now, tastes great and should finish quite dry!

This has been a very educational beer. It's broken rules, things that should have worked didn't and things that shouldn't work did. It's an "inspired by" beer, not a clone. It fermented hot and champagne yeast, the stuff that's supposed to have brought it around, didn't. But in the end, I should have a great Saison and will enjoy comparing it against a bottle of Tank 7, its inspiration. I can do it in winter as well, just use the heating blanket.... Imagine that as an addition to a homebrewery!

The WLP090 has done its job, and how. The beer is Belgian and sweet, big, flavorful, aromatic with American touches - maize in the grist and Amarillo as the finishing hop. Will give it some time to mellow and dry out - it has some sharp edges and the 8.5% ABV is warm to the tongue but I really imagine sipping one (and only one!) of these this winter and reflecting on all the worry it caused me....

I'll do this one again.

Sounds like it calls for a snifter near the fireplace.

My thoughts exactly. Any ideas out there for a "Cajun" beer?

Final post on 90° Saison: Worth the wait! Sweet from the corn, moderate body from all the sugar, You take it into your mouth you taste sweet and tartness, then the peppery phenols kick in. SWAMBO calls it my best ever. @Chessking: I'll want an opinion on November 17th....

Two weeks in the bottle. It'll only get better.

Back