Tafelbier

oliver

Premium Member
Reaction score
I had this horrible idea in my head, where i make the full transition into drinking beer exclusively... yikes. So, i'm interested in making tafelbier, biere de table, whatever you want to call it, in its traditional style of around 2% ABV, but still with the same nice body as regular beer.

A newer LHBS lady told me that i could make the beer with the second runnings from another beer i brewed on the same day. Although that seems like a good idea, i was skeptical because my mash efficiency really fluctuates still. It's either that, or use a lesser amount of grain with the same amount of water i usually use.

Anyone have any tips on how to keep the ABV waaaayyy down, while maintaining an awesome belgian character?

You could always add a bit more grain to the mash after the first runnings. However, it's far too early in the morning for me to even consider what math would be involved in that

Maybe this in conjunction with mashing a bit higher temp for the second runnings?

Witbiers do exactly what you want. As do Milds and Grodziskies. The second runnings idea, well, I've never pursued it but it should produce a drinkable beer, especially if you cap the mash with some crystal or other non-mashed grains. Key is keep the beer small, 4% or under, use lots of character malt or character yeast to develop lots of flavors and good luck with it!

To me, the idea of second runnings reminds me of the way my mother used to save money on making my dad's coffee way back when I was a kid. He didn't like the reruns! Her idea didn't last very long. Oddly enough, just as nosy suggests, she did freshen up the used grounds with a scoop of new grounds.

if your first beer seems to thin and you want more body just add some dextrine-malt like carapils

Back