Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Tap(keg)

Votes: 10 90.9%

• Total voters

Monoxide1355

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I'm on my 3rd brew and bottled my first two with plans to bottle my current. I heard doing a keg is much easier than bottling and was wondering what is needed to make the switch to a keg?

1) kegs
2) co2 tank
3) regulator
4) fridge or kegerator

Of course you need tubing and faucets and connections, etc.

How much is it to fill a CO2 tank?
35$ for a 2.6kg bottle here in Australia where you buy the bottle outright usually for 100$ and they (kegland) ship it to you full (we are Blest to have them)...

Or you could :rolleyes: buy a carb cap a keg or Oxbarr keg and use Sugar and yeast to create some Co2 to carbonate and push your beer for you o_O:p.

Honestly though if your thinking of doing this homebrewing thing for long kegging is a Great option!

When I first started kegging I bought one used keg, a co2 bottle, and used a picnic tap, then gradually added the rest as I went. I've never looked back, currently have 4 taps on the door of my beer fridge.

I messed up reading a recipe and ended up with 7 gallons of Wayner's Pale Ale instead of 5 gallons ( a good thing). Anyway, I having to bottle the last two gallons sucked! Go with the keg!

I am new to kegging, having put only one brew in the keg, so far. When I finally get a fridge to hold my keg(s), then I will be more committed to the kegging process. There is a batch of Amber Ale ready, but since I don’t yet have the fridge, this batch will go in bottles.

I'm on my 3rd brew and bottled my first two with plans to bottle my current. I heard doing a keg is much easier than bottling and was wondering what is needed to make the switch to a keg?
I bottled for 10 years before making the switch last month. The only reason I switched is wrist tendonitis. Kegging is definitely easier but, bottling wasn't so bad either. One down side of kegging is the initial cost. And, as with most things in homebrewing, there is a wide variety of equipment to choose from and the only real limitation is your bank account.

Because it's fresh in my mind and I still have my notes, I'll list out what I bought and why.

New 5 lb CO2 cylinder: $80 (LHBS)
CO2 refill: $15
I only considered new kegs because both local places I checked refill the tank you bring in and do not do exchanges. If you buy used you need to make sure it has been tested recently or pay to have it done.

3-dial Taprite regulator: $112 (Kegerator.com)
I went with Taprite brand base on recommendations for multiple brewers on this forum. I went with a 3-dial (2 for serving kegs; 1 for CO2 tank) so I can serve beers at different pressures or use one for serving and the other for force carbonating. Going with the 3-dial vs the 2-dial was definitely an optional upgrade.

(4) Used kegs: $228 (MoreBeer.com)
I had originally only planned on buying 2 but, went for 4 because More Beer had a set of 4 for $280 and I had a 20% off coupon. That brought the price per keg down to $56 each. They aren't pretty but, I'm the only one who will be seeing them. They sent two replacement poppets to replaces ones that leaked. Plus one keg had some syrup stuck on the inside wall that I had to scrub off.

(2) Picnic Tap 2.1: $27 each (WilliamsBrewing.com)
Think of these as picnic taps without the hose. I picked these for ease of serving and to avoid potential problems some homebrewers have with getting the line length correct to avoid foaming. This also allowed me to skip buying/building a kegerator/keezer.

(2) Floating dip tubes: $25 each (WilliamsBrewing.com)
Definitely a "want" item and not needed. Normal dip tubes that came with kegs would have been fine.

(1) 3 port gas manifold: $30 (LHBS)
This allows me to server multiple kegs off one regulator.

(6) gas & liquid disconnects: $6 each (LHBS)
12' gas line hosing: $??

I could definitely gone kegging for less but, I hope this helps you with ballpark costs.

I bottled for 10 years before making the switch last month. The only reason I switched is wrist tendonitis. Kegging is definitely easier but, bottling wasn't so bad either. One down side of kegging is the initial cost. And, as with most things in homebrewing, there is a wide variety of equipment to choose from and the only real limitation is your bank account.

Because it's fresh in my mind and I still have my notes, I'll list out what I bought and why.

New 5 lb CO2 cylinder: $80 (LHBS)
CO2 refill: $15
I only considered new kegs because both local places I checked refill the tank you bring in and do not do exchanges. If you buy used you need to make sure it has been tested recently or pay to have it done.

3-dial Taprite regulator: $112 (Kegerator.com)
I went with Taprite brand base on recommendations for multiple brewers on this forum. I went with a 3-dial (2 for serving kegs; 1 for CO2 tank) so I can serve beers at different pressures or use one for serving and the other for force carbonating. Going with the 3-dial vs the 2-dial was definitely an optional upgrade.

(4) Used kegs: $228 (MoreBeer.com)
I had originally only planned on buying 2 but, went for 4 because More Beer had a set of 4 for $280 and I had a 20% off coupon. That brought the price per keg down to $56 each. They aren't pretty but, I'm the only one who will be seeing them. They sent two replacement poppets to replaces ones that leaked. Plus one keg had some syrup stuck on the inside wall that I had to scrub off.

(2) Picnic Tap 2.1: $27 each (WilliamsBrewing.com)
Think of these as picnic taps without the hose. I picked these for ease of serving and to avoid potential problems some homebrewers have with getting the line length correct to avoid foaming. This also allowed me to skip buying/building a kegerator/keezer.

(2) Floating dip tubes: $25 each (WilliamsBrewing.com)
Definitely a "want" item and not needed. Normal dip tubes that came with kegs would have been fine.

(1) 3 port gas manifold: $30 (LHBS)
This allows me to server multiple kegs off one regulator.

(6) gas & liquid disconnects: $6 each (LHBS)
12' gas line hosing: $??

I could definitely gone kegging for less but, I hope this helps you with ballpark costs.
I get my co2 at the local welding supply. You "buy" the tank, but it's an exchange program and they do the yearly vip and 5yr hydro testing.

When you put it in a keg you still give it a couple weeks to condition correct?

When you put it in a keg you still give it a couple weeks to condition correct?
Really depends. If it is a lager, you can "lager" it for weeks. A simple ale you can start drinking it as soon as it is carbonated, which can take a couple days or a week.

Depends on the size. Mine is $32 and lasts about 4 years
4 years ??? what's your secret Bent Nail??
I assume you are talking about how long the co2 lasts?
I pay $70 in NZ for a 3kg refill and I am lucky to get 3 months out of mine.
I run 1 keg, sometimes 2 and use co2 to flush lines, kegs, do enclosed transfers etc.. but 3 month would be a max.
cheers.

You can speed up carbonation by setting pressure much higher than serving pressure. This Brülosophy article has a good description force carbonation, including a table of pressures and timings.
How i do it. 40psi for 2 days, then serve pressure. Ready in 3 days

4 years ??? what's your secret Bent Nail??
I assume you are talking about how long the co2 lasts?
I pay $70 in NZ for a 3kg refill and I am lucky to get 3 months out of mine.
I run 1 keg, sometimes 2 and use co2 to flush lines, kegs, do enclosed transfers etc.. but 3 month would be a max.
cheers.
I only do about 20-25 batches s year (5 gal). 20lbs co2 tank, it lasts a while.

Maybe check for leaks? I had a 10lb tank only last 4 months, and I had a decent leak on the main line

My prices are pretty irrelevant to the rest of you, but still.
Small bottle to fill about 15 dollar. I own the small one and fill at fire brigade.
Big bottle: gotta think back. It's a returnable and was about 60 dollar for deposit and CO2.
Reason I get 2 is that its a bit of a drive to get them filled and the regulator is not very accurate. So I decided on a back up

Back