Sweet Stout with Chili's

Bfonta001

Trial Member
Reaction score
help please? how does this look? more or less peppers?

Input greatly appreciated

Sweet Chili Stout
Method: All Grain Style: Sweet Stout
Boil Time: 60 min Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7.5 gallons Efficiency:
Boil Gravity: 1.038 (recipe based estimate)
Original Gravity:1.052Final Gravity:1.020ABV (standard):4.22%IBU (tinseth):21.21SRM (morey):40
Fermentables
Amount Fermentable PPG °L Bill %
8 lb American - Pale 2-Row - Toasted 33 30 68.1%
0.75 lb American - Chocolate 29 350 6.4%
0.25 lb American - Caramel / Crystal 150L 33 150 2.1%
0.75 lb German - Carafa III 32 535 6.4%
1 lb Lactose (Milk Sugar) 41 1 8.5%
1 lb Flaked Oats 33 2.2 8.5%
Hops
Amount Variety Time AA IBU Type Use
0.75 oz Cluster Pellet 6.5 Boil 60 min 18.72
0.5 oz Cluster Pellet 6.5 Boil 5 min 2.49
Other Ingredients
Amount Name Type Use Time
4 oz Cacao nibs Flavor Secondary 2 min
6 each Barkers Hot Chile Spice Secondary 2 min
Yeast
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05
Attenuation (avg): 72% Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 59 - 75 °F Starter: No
Fermentation Temp: 70 °F Pitch Rate: 0.35 (M cells / ml / ° P)
Notes
Cacao nibs 2 weeks secondary

Barkers Hot Chiles 2 weeks secondary

have you made it before without the chili's? I haven't made many stouts, but it looks good to me. as for the amount of chili peppers, I have no idea how hot those peppers are. and exactly how hot you want your beer to be. my suggestion would be to start with a few peppers in the secondary, and taste a sample after a week. if it doesn't taste hot enough, add more for the second week. you can always keep adding more to increase the heat, but if you over do it, you're stuck with burning hot beer.

I also haven't done a ton of stouts, but i work on a lot of porters. Pepper beer is something i've only looked at, but everyone says add more later, not more now.

As for the base, I'd switch out the choco malt for something simpler, like roast or coffee. You have the sweet side covered (lactose, crystal 150, cocoa nibs, safale 05) and body (lactose, crystal, oats). Bringing the roast forward a bit (1/3 or 1/2 lb) would, in my opinion, probably suit the final product better. The Carafa III you're using is debittered so it's really just color, hardly any flavor compared to something like roast or black patent. As you have it now, it's toeing the line with an insane and wild porter, pumping a little more roast in there will bring it back firmly into Stout territory. Wild and Insane Stout territory, which we all want to be in.

Offensive post deleted. Cheers!

How did this turn out? How much pepper did you end up using?

Back