Sweet Stout possibly with marshmellow!

I force carb in the Unitank at this point. Plus I dont trust honey lol. Honey caused me to dump a batch due to mead like flavors. I was very sad because i thought it would be a good recipe, but Voss cranked out a ton of mead flavors from a relatively small amount of honey.
Marshmallow is basically a vanilla flavor so you could mimic it with a couple vanilla beans.

Marshmallow is basically a vanilla flavor so you could mimic it with a couple vanilla beans.

Ya i was thinking about putting vanilla in there as well. im gonna get some marshmallow flavoring. I use vanilla extract as its alot easier to be consistent with.

I'd cut the oats and the dextrin malt in that and go two row preferably pilsner malt and Vienna..

Sorry but I think it's complex my personal hombrewer opinion mind you.:)

What are you using the dextrin malt in all your beers for body head retention?

lol I would not have asked if I didn't want yall's opinions! I have not had a lot of recipe development experience in my years of brewing. I was much more on the technical production side of things

The dextrin was mainly for body and head retention, but it is sort of a knee jerk thing that I put in. The oats add plenty of head retention on their own.

My supplier has given me kind of crappy 2 R lately so i might get some pilsner and see if it is higher quality(depending on the price). I feel like i have been paying grain prices for a lot of sticks and garbage in each bag of 2R.

Ill make a new recipe and ill try a different golden ale. It will be a min though since I just loaded 8 1/2s into the cooler.

Nope. The Dextrapils might add more sweetness than I prefer, but that is just my taste. Also I might add a little more early hops, as I prefer lagers more bitter than most.

But that is just me.

Now that i look at it, you are right. I could def reduce the Dextrin malt maybe 4#s rather than 6. I think im going to need to adjust the hops either way so maybe ill shoot for closer to 20 IBUs. Im working on increasing the attenuation so i dont want to go too crazy right off the bat or my "I only drink Bud Light crowd" wont be able to take it.

Brewed this guy last week. Carbonating it today after adding Vanilla and Toasted Marshmallow flavoring. I am going to let it sit over the weekend Carbonated to let the yeast settle out and the flavorings to blend in. Went with about half the recommended marshmallow dosing, at full strength it became pretty chemically flavored. These flavorings in my experience taste pretty rough when you first add them(while trying to get the dosing correct), but will end up mellowing out as they blend into the liquid.

Next batch changes:

-Reduce/exchange some of the Black Prinz and Chocolate malts with Midnight wheat and more Dark crystal malts.
-Add Lactose probably 3-4#s
-Possibly add in some Dextrin malt for both sweetness and additional head retention.
-Possibly reduce SRM a little and sub in more malt for higher grav and less bitterness
-Will adjust the flavoring once it has had a chance to blend in.

The final attenuation was pretty terrible. It finished at 5p which is only 67% Attenuation. I was shooting for low 6s for ABV, but I got 5.9% instead.

I didnt make these changes yet, but I will make a new recipe and post it here with my adjustments for the next batch.

So another follow up.

I used toasted marshmallow flavoring and some vanilla.

850ml Marshmallow flavoring which is about half the recommended rate.
250ml of Vanilla which is my normal dosing for things with fruit.

In hind-sight I should have added less than half the quantity of marshmallow flavoring. probably about 400ml would have been better. The tough part with these flavorings is that they take a while to mix into the beer, so while im dosing and doing my ratio thing, they are very tough to judge. After a carbonating and a full 24 hrs cold and carbed, the flavor is far stronger than i would have preffered.

The beer is not bad, its just sweeter then I personally like. It may mellow as it ages in the kegs.

In the future, assuming that I have time and the need to add odd things into the beer, I will dose it into a Nalgene and let it sit to test the dosing.

So another follow up.

I used toasted marshmallow flavoring and some vanilla.

850ml Marshmallow flavoring which is about half the recommended rate.
250ml of Vanilla which is my normal dosing for things with fruit.

In hind-sight I should have added less than half the quantity of marshmallow flavoring. probably about 400ml would have been better. The tough part with these flavorings is that they take a while to mix into the beer, so while im dosing and doing my ratio thing, they are very tough to judge. After a carbonating and a full 24 hrs cold and carbed, the flavor is far stronger than i would have preffered.

The beer is not bad, its just sweeter then I personally like. It may mellow as it ages in the kegs.

In the future, assuming that I have time and the need to add odd things into the beer, I will dose it into a Nalgene and let it sit to test the dosing.
Thanks for the follow-up. I believe that the marshmallow flavoring will most likely mellow with a bit of time. How much time and how mellow are certainly open-ended questions, but you may end up closer to the bullseye than you think. Please post again in a few weeks and let us know. I'm always intrigued by how much of this and that brewers add to their beers, and what their findings are.

Thanks for the follow-up. I believe that the marshmallow flavoring will most likely mellow with a bit of time. How much time and how mellow are certainly open-ended questions, but you may end up closer to the bullseye than you think. Please post again in a few weeks and let us know. I'm always intrigued by how much of this and that brewers add to their beers, and what their findings are.
I will.

It goes on after the current keg of black lager kicks, so hopefully the beginning of next week. So I will let you know.

Oh and it was LD Carlson Toasted Marshmallow flavoring.

The recommended dosing is .6:100ml I pitched approximately half the recommended at .3:100ml. IF I make this again I would go down to about .15:100ml.

I could have also pulled the vanilla back a little bit, but I wasnt really sure how much actual marshmallow flavor I was gonna end up with.

Back