Sweet Haze NEIPA

Going for a sweetish, juicy haze. 3 Gallon batch to be fermented and served from the same corny keg. Only using one hop (Citra) so I can just buy in bulk. Thought of trying Amarillo instead for an orange-ier flavor. Thoughts?

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1339257/sweet-haze-neipa
I like it, and I prefer Citra myself, but Amarillo is also a good choice. One thing though...I think you have your Cl:S04 backwards. For a Hazy and a softer, pillowy mouthfeel, lean heavier on Cl. (For a West Coast and to accentuate bitterness by drying out a beer, lean heavier on S04.) I would wait for confirmation on this however as I'm no NEIPA expert.

Going for a sweetish, juicy haze. 3 Gallon batch to be fermented and served from the same corny keg. Only using one hop (Citra) so I can just buy in bulk. Thought of trying Amarillo instead for an orange-ier flavor. Thoughts?

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1339257/sweet-haze-neipa
For a little more omph on the hops you could drop another 3 oz on the back end of Krausen or fermentation.
So WP/High Krausen/Low Krausen (couple points to go).

I think you have your Cl:S04 backwards. For a Hazy and a softer, pillowy mouthfeel, lean heavier on Cl. (For a West Coast and to accentuate bitterness by drying out a beer, lean heavier on S04.) I would wait for confirmation on this however as I'm no NEIPA expert.

I've read conflicting info on this. I'd love to hear more opinions on ratio.

For a little more omph on the hops you could drop another 3 oz on the back end of Krausen or fermentation.
So WP/High Krausen/Low Krausen (couple points to go).
I'll be ordering 8oz, so I may just add the extra 2oz after fermentation's complete. I'm hesitant to open the keg again then though due to possible oxidation... Also, all dry hops will remain in the keg for serving duration.

I'll be ordering 8oz, so I may just add the extra 2oz after fermentation's complete. I'm hesitant to open the keg again then though due to possible oxidation... Also, all dry hops will remain in the keg for serving duration.
Yeah me too it'll be tricky but it can be done easier if you have a tilt to tell you.

Yeah err on the side of caution even up that high krausen hop ;).

On my recent NZ pils I added the hops at yeast pitch this has been shown to reduce the haze as opposed to later DH.

You could also add a pinch of PMB or SMB on that Dry hop to mitigate the o2 too.

I brew NEIPAs on a regular basis and shoot for a CL:SO4 ratio of 2:1, which is opposite of what you have. I have always had positive results. Also, even if reversed, a 1:4 or 4:1 seems high. Are you using the Water Calculator?

I brew NEIPAs on a regular basis and shoot for a CL:SO4 ratio of 2:1, which is opposite of what you have. I have always had positive results. Also, even if reversed, a 1:4 or 4:1 seems high. Are you using the Water Calculator?
Yes.

Screen Shot 2022-12-12 at 6.55.11 PM.png

I see that I would probably prefer a rounder mouth feel, so I should go with a different target water profile leaning more towards Ca. Which of the preset target water profiles is considered NEIPA profile?

Screen Shot 2022-12-13 at 10.41.01 AM.png

Last edited:
I see that I would probably prefer a rounder mouth feel, so I should go with a different target water profile leaning more towards Ca. Which of the preset target water profiles is considered NEIPA profile?

View attachment 23428
Not sure that Ca is going to give you a "rounder mouthfeel". I think you want to lean on Cl for that benefit. Of course, the most common way of adding Chloride to beer is by using measured amounts of CaCl.

I wouldn't use any of those profiles, I never do. Just enter your target levels manually. How about 100ppm Cl and about 50 S04? Try and keep the Ca < 100, Na < 30ish, Mg < 10. Once your pH is in line, HCO3 is what it is. It's never a target anyway.

Good luck.

I just did something similar, but used WLP067, Cascade and Mosaic. I bittered with Cascade and used Mosaic at flameout. I wished I would have gone a little heavier on my hops and maybe dry hopped. I definitely got some orange with that yeast around 69 or 70.
I also mixed my 2-row with Pilsner.

You want a ratio of between 2:1 and 3:1 chloride to sulfates, I personally go 3:1.

You want a ratio of between 2:1 and 3:1 chloride to sulfates, I personally go 3:1.

MY OPINION --->

I think the ratio should just be a guide, because obviously not all ratios are created equal.

40 Cl:20 SO4 can't taste the same as 200 Cl:100 SO4, even if the ratio is the same. And that's ignoring the collateral damage to Ca, which usually comes along for the ride. At some point, the beer will start to lose that fuller mouthfeel and head towards medicinal or minerally. And to make matters worse, we all won't taste the water chemistry exactly the same. What might be a perfectly round, sweet body to someone will taste like chalk to someone else. I think, in the end, the numbers matter more than the ratio, even if the ratio is a nice starting point.

Of course, this is what makes the hobby so much fun. We get to brew and drink a lot of beer to find out exactly how we like it. :)

Back