Sweet Chocolate Porter

Smitty27

Trial Member
Reaction score
I had a friend request a chocolate stout for the winter and I created this recipe. I don't know if its actually a porter or if it could be called a stout but it just sounded good to me. I haven't brewed this kind of dark beer before so any ingredient adjustments would be appreciated but I'm really looking for a water profile. I've read that the porters/stouts need baking soda or something to adjust the acidity of the darker malts.

I added gypsum to the water calculator and it seemed to help my water profile but I'm not sure what amount to use of baking soda or if I should get rid of the gypsum for this brew. Thanks!

Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: Robust Porter
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 3 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 3.5 gallons
Efficiency: 65% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.064
Final Gravity: 1.024
ABV (standard): 5.29%
IBU (tinseth): 26.37
SRM (morey): 23.32

FERMENTABLES:
4.5 lb - United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale (58.1%)
1 lb - Belgian - CaraMunich (12.9%)
8 oz - Belgian - Biscuit (6.5%)
8 oz - Flaked Oats (6.5%)
6 oz - Belgian - Special B (4.8%)
2 oz - German - Carafa I (1.6%)
12 oz - Lactose - (late addition) (9.7%)

HOPS:
0.5 oz - Fuggles for 60 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 4.5, IBU: 14.6)
1 oz - East Kent Goldings for 10 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 5, IBU: 11.77)

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
1 oz - Irish Moss, Time: 15 min, Type: Fining, Use: Boil
3 oz - Cocoa nibs, Time: 0 min, Type: Flavor, Use: Secondary
2 each - Vanilla beans, Time: 0 min, Type: Flavor, Use: Secondary
1 tsp - Gypsum, Time: 0 min, Type: Water Agt, Use: Mash

YEAST:
Wyeast - London Ale III 1318
Starter: No
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 73%
Flocculation: High
Optimum Temp: 64 - 74 F
Fermentation Temp: 70 F

TARGET WATER PROFILE:
Profile Name: Colorado Springs, CO, USA
Ca2: 7
Mg2: 1
Na: 6
Cl: 1
SO4: 5
HCO3: 24
Water Notes:
1tsp gypsum
NOTES:

Looks like a dark, English beer to me!

When it comes to brewing salts, try the link to the Mash Chemistry and Brewing Water Calculator. Check what it says for estimated mash pH. Baking soda will increase it, while Gypsum will decrease it. You want it to be between 5.3 and 5.6.

I was going for something with the same attributes as a Milk Stout but not as dark and I'm pretty sure it started out as a porter and then turned into whatever it is now! :D

Before adding anything:

Mash pH *: 5.49
Mash thickness: 1.81 qt/lb
pH Delta from Water: 0.03
effective water residual alkalinity: 12.06 ppm as CaCO3
effective strength of weak acids: 0.00 ppm as CaCO3
* mash prediction is for mash sample cooled to 25 C / 77 F

After adding 5g of gypsum:

Mash pH *: 5.32
Mash thickness: 1.81 qt/lb
pH Delta from Water: -0.14
effective water residual alkalinity: -60.23 ppm as CaCO3
effective strength of weak acids: 0.00 ppm as CaCO3
* mash prediction is for mash sample cooled to 25 C / 77 F

Ca+2 Mg+2 Na+ Cl- SO4-2 Alkalinity Residual Alkalinity
mg/l mg/l mg/l mg/l mg/l ppm as CaCO3 ppm as CaCO3
109.5 1.0 6.0 1.0 250.7 22.2 -56.4

normal normal normal normal normal Range Check
SO42-/Cl- ratio: 9+ Too Bitter
Total lactic acid as equivalent acidulated malt in grist: 0.0 %

So with the gypsum it is at the low end of the desired range. If you add baking soda or chalk it will move up some.

Should I leave the water as is then or will the gypsum and if needed the baking soda have other affects that can improve the quality?

Smitty27 said:
Should I leave the water as is then or will the gypsum and if needed the baking soda have other affects that can improve the quality?

Your water is pretty soft, which is a great starting point. Same situation I am in.

Normally darker beers go with higher mineral content water. It is a matter of how detailed you want to be about replicating the style. I would shoot for at least the Balanced water profile (which is available in the recipe editor and the mash chemistry and brewing water calculator). If minerals are too low, it can impact yeast performance. Some of your ions, Ca / Cl, do look pretty low. I brew with Gypsum for hoppy beers, Calcium Chloride for light beers, and canning salt / chalk to make up the difference of any other needed ions. I don't worry about Epsom salt (Mg) too much.

I just did an English Mild and went with Balanced Profile II, which is double the minerals of Balanced Profile I. It tastes awesome, my estimated mash pH was 5.45, and I had 100% conversion efficiency.

This seems to be about as close as I can get it.
3g gypsum
1g epson salt
4.5g calcium chloride
4g baking soda

"Ball II" Ca+2 Mg+2 Na+ Cl- SO4-2 HCO
Actual 142.6 7.9 83.1 153.9 150.4 224.774
Delta -7.4 -2.1 3.1 3.9 -9.6 4.8

Mash pH 5.53

Awesome. So then you can drop the baking soda some to lower the pH, and replace the sodium with salt (NaCl). I'd keep the estimated mash as close to 5.45 as you can. That puts you right in the sweet spot. Some people don't like baking soda as a brewing salt because it has a funny taste in water. That is why I use chalk instead.

Back