Summer beer with lemongrass

EvanAltman36

Trial Member
Reaction score
I put together a recipe for a summer beer with fresh lemon and lime zest and juice, and also some lemongrass. I know the latter is typically used for cooking, but can and is used in beer from time to time. My LHBS carries dry lemongrass, and it gives off a nice grassy/citrusy scent, so I used that. My beers have baseball names/themes, so I felt the grassy notes would fit well. I was really pleased with the way the aroma from the actual lemons and lime zest and juice came through at the end of the boil, and it's looking good in fermenter now. Wondered what experience others have with lemongrass.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/r ... summer-ale

Sounds like a nice refreshing beer!

I have not tried lemon grass in brewing... Let us know how it turns out and post some pics! I'd be interested to know what amount strikes the right balance.

I just did a 5 gallon batch that used 0.5oz of coriander. Next time I will cut that in half for that recipe. I just wanted a hint of it. I had used a full ounce in other beers so I was trying to be careful.

Yes, I'll get some pics up soon. There was actually a summer ale w/ lemongrass at the beer fest I recently attended. My wife sampled it and I tasted a bit. Not bad, though I'm not sure how much they used or anything. Nothing better than experimenting, particularly when you can drink the results.

So I just racked into my keg (first time ever kegging!) and things went off without a hitch! I had done pretty extensive reading to make sure I was doing everything correctly, as my noob-ness can sometimes be a hindrance. I'm doing a slow carbonation process, so I just purged all the O2 and set the regulator to just under 12psi to let it sit there. I did test a sample though and I really liked it, seems to be well balanced and have all the flavor characteristics I was looking for. While carbonation was lacking, of course, I really liked the citrus flavors from the hops and the lemon/lime zest/juice. There was also some intentional grassiness from the lemongrass and a little spice from the Saaz. All in all, I am really pleased with it so far and I have to think that pleasure will only increase as the beer carbs and ages a bit. True to its name, Crooked Numbers, I think I'm going to be able to drink a few of these in the future.

Congrats on your first kegging experience. Real time saver huh?! I think you will find the beer just tastes better over bottled home brew that has priming sugar added.

I think the time savings will really come into play as I continue. Seeing as how I had to go get the CO2 tank filled, replace the O-rings, assemble everything, the first run was not quick. Also, neither the kegs nor the regulators had any instructions whatsoever, so I had to do a little research in order to make sure I was doing everything correctly. But it was amazingly simple once I got started. And it was pretty cool to just rack into the keg, hook up the CO2, and close 'er up. Much better than having to bottle. I'm really excited to have some friends over to brew and grill and just have the beer readily available.

Now think about getting more kegs. With the week or so it takes to carb up, having a few extra helps keep the pipeline full. Also you will find that first keg will empty faster than you think.

chessking said:
Now think about getting more kegs. With the week or so it takes to carb up, having a few extra helps keep the pipeline full. Also you will find that first keg will empty faster than you think.

+1

Yeah, I fully intend to drain this first one quickly; after all, it's called Crooked numbers.

Truly inspired, my north side friend!!!

I guess you will brew this every 106 years?

I am now trying to figure my hop schedule for Put it on the Board Stout (gotta be a dark beer).

Hey, I was at the game yesterday and there were plenty of crooked numbers. You could do a He Gone! brew too. I've got a Disco Demolition Double IPA that I might be working on soon; it's going to be a little over the top, but fun. We're only at 104 years now, so are you predicting a WS title for the Cubs in 2015? I'll take it!

A note on lemongrass: I like it, but it does have a bit of a grassy/earthy flavor that not everyone will find appealing. I used dry lemongrass and added to the boil and then also along with the dry hops for about 2 weeks. When I do it again, I think I'll skip the dry hop addition. The lemongrass reminds me of tea, so I think letting it steep for a long time allows the flavors to keep getting stronger. Maybe I'll experiment in the future with one batch that only uses it in the boil and one that only dry hops with it, just to see which I like better.

It's been kegged for just about 10 days and not quite carbonated fully, but still pretty nice. The lemongrass is pleasant and does have a nice earthy, citrusy flavor that provides some depth. I have changed the recipe a bit to add more actual citrus zest and juice, as I think that stuff is too understated in my brew as is. I like the lemongrass, but I used the dry version, so a very little bit goes a long way. I don't have the bag with me, but I think 1/4 oz total was plenty without being overpowering. I didn't get good results from the dry hops because the fermentation kicked up again after being dormant for several days and it blew off most of the aroma. I think with that part of the process corrected, and a little more citrus flavor, this one will be a big winner.

Attachments

• CrookedNumbers.JPG
    CrookedNumbers.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 878
Looks delicious! I love the color. The only thing missing is .... digital taste-buds!

LarryBrewer said:
Yeah, email us all a pint please! ;)

As soon as I get my new Wonkavision, you guys can all tune in to my channel and I'll send you a pint that way.

Very pleased with how this one is aging. Three weeks or so in keg and the clarity is really evident.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 914
That pitcher looks like he just had a home run hit against him.

Back