sugar carbonating in keg

griz

Trial Member
Reaction score
Greetings.

Any problems with carbonating a batch of beer in a keg using sugar since my other kegs on tap aren't done yet (I know...need to drink more....) and I have beer that needs to be moved.

And once the beer becomes carbonated, any issues with then just hooking the keg up to an open c02 line when one comes open?

I don't have to do anything different with a keg that has been "naturally" carbonated with sugar do I?

Thanks!!

No problem. Reduce the priming sugar to 3 oz. and make sure you have a good seal on the lid.
Brian

Thanks for the reply Brian. What is the reason for reducing the sugar amount?

1- 5 gallon keg in relation to 53 bottles of beer will have less head space.

I recently brewed a foreign extra stout that has been troublesome from the start. The FG ended up high and I had a kegerator bottleneck so I added 3 oz of corn sugar into a keg in the hopes that the transfer and sugar snack would encourage the yeast to ferment a few more points -- from 1.020 to 1.016. Is this overly optimistic? I put about 5 psi on the keg and left it at room temperature. My plan is to test it after about three weeks in the keg. Any ideas? Thanks!

I doubt you'll drop any points at this time and with it being "Big" you may just need to force carb it.
Brian

Thanks, Brew Mentor. I'll report back in a couple weeks.

Back