Sudden cessation of fermentation

Discussion in 'General Brewing Discussions' started by Adrian Gresores, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Adrian Gresores

Adrian Gresores New Member

Something very strange happened today. Four days ago, I started fermenting an IPA. I'm using Imperial Yeast A24 Dry Hop at 68 degrees F. Expected OG was 1.067, but I only got 1.060. No big deal. Started bubbling within 12 hours. Went out of town for last 2 days. When I came back today, the blow-off tube was bubbling every 4 - 5 seconds and gravity had dropped to 1.020. I then decided to switch the blow-off tube to a 3 piece airlock, since the krausen was not that thick. However, from that moment, about 8 hours ago, there has been no bubbling in my airlock! In addition, the gravity has not dropped at all (I have a Tilt hydrometer, so I know the gravity continuously).

Anybody have any idea why this might have happened?

Thanks,
    Adrian

2. oliver

oliver Well-Known Member

LHBS owner
    test it next to a triple scale hydrometer? See if you get the same results..

If you do get the same results, bump the temperature up into the 70s, give the fermenter a little rousing, see if that wakes it up.

3. The Brew Mentor

The Brew Mentor Well-Known Member

I'm sure everything is fine.
    Unless it's a very high flocculating Yeast, it's just slowing down as it nears the end.
    I'd walk away for a few days, or a week really, and then take a look at it.
    Raising it up to 70° will also help it to finish.
    Good luck and fill us in a week from now.
    Brian

Head First and Beer_Pirate like this.