suckback

nkldrgr

Premium Member
Reaction score
Wondering how best to reduce suck back after co2 off gassing subsides after primary ferm. If not careful, my typical blow off tube method can allow water to enter the fermenter as temperatures decrease. I tried switching to an s-type air lock and notice that some drops still make their way into the fermenter when taking gravity/pH samples. Anyone have a system that works? Anyone use a sanitized foam stopper after primary fermentation is done?

20230128_084618.jpg

I do it this way. mylar balloon. will inflate during fermentation, deflate during cold crash

If not careful, my typical blow off tube method can allow water to enter the fermenter as temperatures decrease.

I use to run my blow off tube into a bottle of Star San as my air lock. I have had a couple of beers that have sucked star san back into my beer. Didn't really hurt anything, but I do pay a bit more attention to my days now. I have upgraded equipment and now I just add CO2 and keep a slight pressure once fermentation is complete. Minbari's use of a balloon seems like the simplest solution.

If you don't want to cut a hole in your fermentor and add a bulkhead. I have seen people add the balloon to the air lock or blow off tube with a T too.

Only thing I do. Turn off the valve to the balloon until fermentation has been going actively for 5 hours or so. That will purge out the "air" from the fermentor. You don't want to fill the balloon with air (containing oxygen) then just that back in either

Last edited:
I exclusively use a blow off tube. The end of the tube is only about 1/8 of an inch below the surface of the starsan. The tube is big enough that liquid can't reach the fermenter.

At cold crash, I replace the tube with a gas post, and pressurize the fermenter to about 7 psi.

That suck back is one of the reasons I went to a fermenter that can be pressurized. Suck back also draws in air and oxygen into the fermenter. That’s even worse than liquid suck back.

I add 4psi in the fermenter
seems like the best/simplest option. I am using a conical and pressure transfer, so just need to setup co2 earlier, or maybe even get another tank just for fermentation co2. 5lb would probably last a long time. thanks

seems like the best/simplest option. I am using a conical and pressure transfer, so just need to setup co2 earlier, or maybe even get another tank just for fermentation co2. 5lb would probably last a long time. thanks
I get half a year or more from 5 pounds.

Make sure your fermenter is rated for pressure.
You may think that 2 or 3 or 5 PSI isn't much, but that is 2,3, or 5 pounds per each square inch of surface area.
If the inside of your fermenter is say 100 square inches, you are looking at 200, or 300, or 500 pounds of force in trapped energy.
I am sure that your fermenter has a LOT more than 100 square inches of surface area, that is just a 10" x 10" area.
If your fermenter is 12" diameter, and 20" tall you are creeping up on 1000 square inches.
That would add up to a tremendous amount of force if there should be a failure...

Wondering how best to reduce suck back after co2 off gassing subsides after primary ferm. If not careful, my typical blow off tube method can allow water to enter the fermenter as temperatures decrease. I tried switching to an s-type air lock and notice that some drops still make their way into the fermenter when taking gravity/pH samples. Anyone have a system that works? Anyone use a sanitized foam stopper after primary fermentation is done?
Instead of relying solely on an airlock, you can use a blow-off tube setup during the primary fermentation phase. This involves inserting a tube into the fermenter's bung or stopper and running it into a container of sanitizing solution or water. This setup provides a larger airspace and prevents liquid from being drawn back into the fermenter.

Instead of relying solely on an airlock, you can use a blow-off tube setup during the primary fermentation phase. This involves inserting a tube into the fermenter's bung or stopper and running it into a container of sanitizing solution or water. This setup provides a larger airspace and prevents liquid from being drawn back into the fermenter.
Just make sure the end of the blow off hose is not too deeply submerged in the liquid. What should happen is, it will draw a little of the liquid up, then the level of the liquid will drop enough so that only air gets drawn. And most of that "air" is off-gassed CO2...

Still requires an air chamber so it doesn't just suck up the liquid.

Back