Strongly considering purchasing a beer filter

Mase

Trial Member
Reaction score
As an upgrade to our current brewing system, we have been strongly considering adding a filter (link here: http://www.northernbrewer.com/beerbrite-beer-clarity-filtration), to expedite the clarity and to remove any particulates (hops/grains, etc.) from our brews. So to gain clarity faster* and to remove the yeast (and their aroma) from our beer, are we sacrificing anything? And has anyone had experience with this unit (see link above) or anything similar?

I only see positives, with maybe a slight negative if some of the small particles are flavor contributors.

Please share your thoughts, concerns, potentials issues, etc., etc.

Of related note, we tend to brew some pretty hoppy beers. Our last IPA had 17 oz. of hops in a 5 gallon batch :D. should hops and any of their particulates be filtered out if they are still contributing to the flavor?

* within a month after kegging, all of our beers (with the exception of NEIPA's which are cloudy by design), are crystal clear.

I’ve went down that rabbit hole and my system sits in the storage boxes, issues are cleaning of paper filters and constantly buying more filters, you can also introduce oxygen to your beer if not set up right, any bubbles will add oxygen in your lines, filters get saturated with sugar and sugar breads bacteria, hops will mildew inside the filter by the way and is very hard to clean out and if you do you have a stale smell to them, problems are getting clogged and wasting too much money and time, it’s also very hard to filter carbonated beer, it strips the carbonation, tests made were with 1 micron, outer 5 micron and inner 1 micron and just plain 5 micron filters 1 micron strips flavor in half and gets clogged very easy, 5 microns is not enough but is fine for large particles like loose hops, so plan on wasting 2 or so filters a batch in most cases and you have to clean right away, half a day and its ruined, easiest way to slow down problems is add to an air tight bag if your pressed for time, I only use cold crashing and gelatin and time today and it works fine but all I can say is good luck ;)

Ditto that - cold storage (lagering) and gelatin and I get brilliantly clear beers. If I can avoid the gelatin, I don't use it - it, too strips out some flavor and color compounds. Filtering is great for the macro guys, clears their beer up in no time, but that's not what we're after, is it?

Back