Strike water volume issue

w@lter

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I think there's an error in the Quick Water Requirements with the Strike Water (and therefore also with the Sparge Water) volumes. I have a recipe with a malt bill of 4.9 kg, a mash tun deadspace of 3.5 liter and a mash thickness of 3.5 l/kg. Logically this would mean that my strike water volume should be (3.5*4.9)+3.5=20.65 liter. However, in the Quick Water Requirements, the recommended volume is 19.6 liter.

Can anyone explain this to me and what I could be doing wrong?

Thanks,

Walter

This has been brought up before, I think it's on the list to work on

Hi,

I think there's an error in the Quick Water Requirements with the Strike Water (and therefore also with the Sparge Water) volumes. I have a recipe with a malt bill of 4.9 kg, a mash tun deadspace of 3.5 liter and a mash thickness of 3.5 l/kg. Logically this would mean that my strike water volume should be (3.5*4.9)+3.5=20.65 liter. However, in the Quick Water Requirements, the recommended volume is 19.6 liter.

Can anyone explain this to me and what I could be doing wrong?

Thanks,

Walter

I know this is something that was an issue but unsure where we are with it currently. @Pricelessbrewing ? Can you update us?

I did some further testing and it seems that the issue is generated by certain malts. This is my recipe : https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1432405/pale-sir-robin
When I add the Viking Cookie malt, it's not taken into consideration but when I replace it by another malt (eg. Castle Malting Abbaye), that malt is included in the calculation.
I'm on my phone right now, but looking at your recipe it seems like the cookie malt is a personal inventory ingredient, please check the grain types are correct and that the "mashed" checkbox is checked.

I did use the 'default' ingredient for the Viking Cookie malt en that gave the wrong volumes. I then tested it by copying the settings for the malt in a custom ingredient and then the volume was correct.

I would suggest that you have a look at the settings for this ingredient : https://www.brewersfriend.com/fermentables/viking-cookie-malt/ to see why it gives this error.

Last edited:
What I did to solve the issue for me : I created a custom fermentable with exactly the same parameters. This works for me.

What I did to solve the issue for me : I created a custom fermentable with exactly the same parameters. This works for me.
Sorry for the delay, we had some issues with the admin portal for a bit following the web update.

This has been resolved, as I expected the ingredient was not set to "Mashed" for the default ingredient, so when you copied it into your inventory this was also the case.

All should be well for this ingredient now.

Back