Straining Wort

Sounds like you need to get a weld-less ball valve fitting for your kettle.

"Give a man a beer, he wastes the rest of the day. Teach a man to brew, he wastes the rest of his life."

LarryBrewer said:
Sounds like you need to get a weld-less ball valve fitting for your kettle.

The rabbit hole gets deeper.....

If you're talking from the brewpot to fermenter, it's best to remove as much as you can; some say a little is good nutrients for the yeast. If you get your beer out of the primary fermenter as soon as vigorous fermentation is complete, then it should give any off-flavors. Might be more noticeable with lagers though.

TheZel66 said:
If you're talking from the brewpot to fermenter, it's best to remove as much as you can; some say a little is good nutrients for the yeast. If you get your beer out of the primary fermenter as soon as vigorous fermentation is complete, then it should give any off-flavors. Might be more noticeable with lagers though.
I would give the opposing recommendation regarding the primary. During the 'vigorous fermentation', the yeast produce byproducts that can contribute to off-flavors and instability in the beer. After fermentation is complete, the yeast clean up these byproducts. If you rack off of the yeast cake too early, the yeast won't get a chance to do this housekeeping, and you'll end up with undesirable compounds in your beer. Even lagers do not require racking to a second fermenter before lagering. The real purpose of lagering a beer is to use the colder temperatures to encourage the yeast to flocculate and promote the precipitation of microparticles and haze.
How much we filter our wort before primary is a bit like glass vrs. better bottles IMHO.

even though it clogs constantly I still filter from the brew pot with 3 layers of bag material, I have a large stainless veggie strainer that is bigger than the opening of my buckets, only issue is when making really hoppy beer, this last one had hops in the krausen and the yeast cake

Back