Storing Hops

Flashman

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello Beer folk, just been extract brewing for a year or so on with cloned recipe's and have begun to try out my own recipe's. I've purchased a variety of vacuum packed hops. Once opened what's the best way to store them. I will probably need to store once opened for about 2 weeks to 1 month until using them for another brew.
Many thanks

Seal them up in a ziploc baggie with as much air as possible squeezed out of them, perhaps even wrapping in aluminum foil. You want to avoid getting too much extra O2 in there, just like with any other food. You could even pre-portion the hops into smaller baggies if you know how much you're going to use; for instance, have them in .25oz, .5oz, etc measurements. that way, you're not having to open and close the main bag multiple times to take out hops for your brewing.

Hello, Ahhh so no need to refrigerate or freeze, thanks old chap!

Ooh, yeah, do that. Not sure how that slipped my mind. If it's only a couple weeks, fridge is fine; if it's stretching into months, you might want to freeze. They're pellet hops, right?

In the freezer removing as much air as possible and in an airtight atmosphere.
The suggestions above are the most commonly followed practices.
If you have a food saver, that'd be great.
Whole leaf hops are more susceptible to oxidizing so use them up sooner than later.
Brian

Back