Storage area

Krimbos

Trial Member
Reaction score
I am a new brewer and facing a typical newbie problem - storage space.

I have 2 small unfinished closets in my basement, one built around the water pipe and the second enclosing the sump pump. Both are currently cool (55f Chicago winter). The sump pump closet is much larger with an unused window (porch built over it) but since it has a sump, it's pretty musty.

Could I store my bottled beers in the sump closet? The other is dry, and cool. I plan to cold crash my Irish ale in it before bottling.

Comments?

My first thought is mildew and beer don't go together.

That said people have been brewing in basements for years without a problem. An infected batch is a real bummer. You'll want to minimize exposure to the mildewy damp air. A product called DampRid may help with some of this. Air sealing the room might be another approach ($5 for a can of expanding foam). Maybe put some cotton balls the top of carboys you plan to leave in there. Hoses, caps, or anything permeable I wouldn't keep in there, unless it was in a sealed plastic bag. Capped bottles that are conditioning would be just fine, but empty bottles would have to be cleaned and thoroughly sanitized on bottling day. The cardboard cases that go with the bottles may start to break down in too damp an environment.

The other closet for cold crashing is a nice plus.

Being a child of Chicago myself. I grew up with a sump pump and all the damp rid in the world wouldnt help. My folks always had a de-humidifier going in the basement. As long as your beer isnt stored in light and heat it will be fine.

Back