Starting with starters

Oh yeah, WLP 002 is the Fullers Strain. It doesn't attenuate very well, but it has a wonderful character. I actually added a little bit of brown sugar to hit my numbers. WLP 004 I believe is the Guiness Strain. I had a Porter recipe that I played around with, and that yeast was the final step in making it really good.
Can I recommend this podcast from the Hombrew Club https://open.spotify.com/episode/6J...i=3roDRCZzQ3mY_gQTebtDIg&utm_source=copy-link

I remember Martin Keen saying he sours a portion of his wort and adds it back to his keg to create that "authentic " Guiness flavour.

Love your dedication man!

I think it depends where we are in our evolution. If I had gone 300-500 batches, I might be the same way. I think I still have some learning to do, so I kind of do chase a few things. I am starting to learn that I like traditional beers along with my love for light, hoppier beers. Traditional beers have traditional yeast strains, and I still want to taste, well what things are supposed to taste like. Thus, the new love for WLP 004 and WLP 002. I think if I get some more batches under by belt, I might get to a few gotos as well.
I really don't have any interest in the Kviek either. Those that I have tasted don't have much of a character. It is great they can finish really fast, but it seems like you can't really use a complex grain bill with them. Want to make a Bud substitute, great. Want to make something with some character, no.
Yeah, when I first started I tried everything that caught my eye. But after a while you figure out what you like and what works for you. Each brewer has their own methods, preferences and desired outcomes. Each brewer will have a short list of their favorite yeasts.

BTW, Kviek yeasts make a crappy Bud.

Can I recommend this podcast from the Hombrew Club https://open.spotify.com/episode/6J...i=3roDRCZzQ3mY_gQTebtDIg&utm_source=copy-link

I remember Martin Keen saying he sours a portion of his wort and adds it back to his keg to create that "authentic " Guiness flavour.

Love your dedication man!
I actually screwed up when I made my Porter, but it was a Godsend. The brewing software had some of the flaked oats being converted. They didn't, and I had a sessionable 4.8% beer. It was tasty and very drinkable at that alcohol level.

I never count flaked in gravity. They just don't, lol

Yeah, when I first started I tried everything that caught my eye. But after a while you figure out what you like and what works for you. Each brewer has their own methods, preferences and desired outcomes. Each brewer will have a short list of their favorite yeasts.

BTW, Kviek yeasts make a crappy Bud.
KVIEK yeast make great traditional Norwegian farmhouse brew though:D!

I'd love to actually try the Lithuanian yeast sometime I think they don't boil their wort it's just mash - cool - pitch yeast.

Traition brewing techniques and old handed down yeast strains really intreages me.
Through researching Kviek and other farmhouse yeasts the one conclusion I drew was the move to modern more reliable predictable yeast Strain has been the death or extinction of our native beer brewing yeast strains.

Back