Starter Question:

MrBIP

Premium Member
Reaction score
So I realized I screwed up my order, didn't by any DME or FastPitch. I have two beers to make over Christmas break here. An Imperial Stout (1.10 OG) and an Amber (1.051). I have just enough DME for the starter for the RIS, so here's my plan. Make that first (starter wort is boiling now). Then when I make that, I'll save a Liter of second runnings, which should be about 1035 and use that for starter for Amber. (I can always blend a little if it's lower than what I think it will be.) I don't have an LHBS; would be a 2 hour drive.

Should I have any concerns with using the wort from RIS for starter in Amber? It seems that it would be ok, very low volume and should have time to crash and decant it, but......

Based on mfg date of yeast for Amber, yes, I need a 1L starter.

Side note: Anyone used White Labs in the new packaging yet? That kinda thru me when I open my box of supplies.

MrBIP

I think you'll be fine, all you need to do is collect 2 or 3 cups of boiling wort then cool it in the sink with ice and pitch

Your wort Idea is fine. Keep it under 1.050.

As for the White lab packages, they SUCK.
The first time I tried to open one, I was holding it too tight and the slurry squirted out over my hand. I bet I lost 1/4 to 1/2 the volume.
The second time, I was careful to hold it gently, cut the end off with scissors, I poked the open end into the neck of the carboy, and let it drain, like I would with a vial.
A couple minutes later I pulled it out and tossed it in the trash. Imagine this as if it were happening in slow motion. As the package was in the air, sailing towards the trash bin, while it was still approaching the mid-point of its trajectory, my brain finally registered, that the weight was a bit on the heavy side.
Upon inspection of the package, I found that half the yeast was still inside, but running out into the trash. There was some sort of kink, and I should have squeezed it out like toothpaste. Now the package is fouled and unsanitary and beyond usage.
I liked the vials.
They made sense.
If I got to dork around with an envelope, I might as well use a Wyeast smack pack. Those at least will open and drain properly.

Nosybear: Do I get extra credit for using the term "dork around"?

Thanks, I figured there was nothing wrong with that plant, but out of norm ...

I agree, the new White Labs pouch sucks. I've always preferred the smack packs if using liquid yeast anyway, guess now I prefer them a little more.

Nice to see you're adopting a more professional vocabulary, Gern. Happy Christmas!

Back