Starter Help

Nola_Brew

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I will be brewing a Hefe next weekend and want to get a starter going on Wednesday.
Will be using Wyeast 3068.
Using Brew United's calculator, I used the hybrid pitch rate, 2 gallon batch, OG of 1.055, overbuild of 125b. Estimated production date of 8/8/15 (don't have the yeast yet).
2L flask shows I need 1.5l of water to 151 grams of DME.
The results show to pitch .867l and harvest .633l.

My brew day will probably be 9/5 but possibly 9/6. If I begin the starter on Wednesday, would it be finished by Friday? I've read where 48 hrs is about the norm and I'll be using a stir plate.
One other question. Since I will be using 1.5l of a 2L flask will .5l be enough room for the yeast to do it's thing?
Thanks
Eddie

fwiw, i try to do a starter roughly 18 hours before i'm ready to pitch, usually the night before. that's a much shorter time than you mentioned, and i don't use a stir plate. and i've never used wyeast's products, but I wouldn't think they'd vary too much from white labs, at least in regards to cell growth and reproduction.
also, seems like the stir plate would "speed" up cell production, but that's why i don't work in a lab :D
I've also heard of some professional brewers intentionally straining their yeast sometimes. not sure if it was for a hefe or a belgian, but they said it was a good way to get the esters, phenols, what have you that you're looking for in those types of beers

One thing to consider: A Hefeweizen is one of the few cases where you probably don't want to pitch a starter. Talking to one of the best professional brewers I know, the key to a good Hefeweizen is stressing the yeast. Underpitch - that is, no starter. Keep the yeast cool for clove, warm (relatively speaking) for banana. Stressing the yeast means they throw more esters and/or phenols and in a Hefeweizen, that's what you want. Of course, too warm (check the spex for the yeast your pitching, "too warm" is the upper end of the range) will result in a banana bomb. Hefeweizens are one of those beers where you can really decide what you want and, based on pitch rate and fermentation temperatures, get it. They're also infernally easy to screw up, probably why I've tasted so many that reminded me of used dishwater over the years. To me, it's the hardest style to get right.

Back