Starter from beer

west1m

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I bought a bottle of Spotted Cow from WI the other day. The label says "yeast left in the bottle" .
Can a starter be made from this or has this been pasturized or something to kill the yeast?

I bought a bottle of Spotted Cow from WI the other day. The label says "yeast left in the bottle" .
Can a starter be made from this or has this been pasturized or something to kill the yeast?
Yes you can save dregs from bottles and make little starters to grow them up to pitching rates. Whether Spotted Cow has live yeast cell or not in the bottles, I have no clue. I will say however that I don't think there's anything special with the yeast they use (new glarus) in Spotted Cow that would be worth the effort. But that's just me. You're typically looking for something hard to obtain or pretty specific when going this route. But yeah, you can and it's not all that difficult and of course sanitation and clean practices are key.

Just a curiosity thing as I bought the ingredients (including yeast) to make a Spotted Cow clone from a recipe found here in the file.

It can, you can prop it up but be aware, many breweries filter their house yeast out and bottle carb with something else. I don't know if New Glarus does this.

Back