stainless vs aluminum

That appears to be the shuttle, the thing pushed by the tap handle to start and stop the flow. The spring shuts the valve off when the handle is pushed back, and helps the o-ring seal properly.

I'm not sure what you mean by position. It just sits there on the end of the shuttle.
i couldnt decide if that would be a shuttle or a piston. looking at it i think you are right. i would expect that to essentially be a buffer spring so to ensure that the tap closes full when it is supposed to.

It could also be part of the flow control system allowing the tappered part to move back and forth while still maintaining a seal.

I think we are missing some detail on the flow control handle that would show how the flow control actually adjusts the opening on that guy.

you have to remember that that piston shuts in the forward(to the left) position. and is open to the right of the diagam

you got me on that one. most of the time mechanical things should be tight, but I could be wrong. worst case it wont work right, take it apart and try again
sometimes, but when springs are involved pre-load can make a difference. you generally wouldnt want a spring to be fully compressed at any point.

The brand of the tap is Celli. By position i mean that there is a screw after the spring and i dont know how much to screw it , until the end , just a little bit or somewhere in the middle. If i understand what exactly is the point of it i will be able to figure it out
https://www.celli.com/en/Manual_Search there is a manual search and a phone number. the company would likely be able to tell you how to put it back together.

generally though its best to not take things fully apart if you have preset springs like that, unless you measure the gap so that you can get it back to its factory position.

here is a video on disassembling it.

Last edited:
sometimes, but when springs are involved pre-load can make a difference. you generally wouldnt want a spring to be fully compressed at any point.
depends on how they connect it. it they use a spool screw to fasten it, then you would want it tight and the spool would determine the compression. but I dont know how it is assembled.

Faucets and draft hardware are another place where stainless steel is also very important!

Chrome-plated brass will eventually wear down to just brass from the movement of the beer, chemicals, ph, and mechanical wear. It is always best to get all stainless steel parts when they are in contact with beer. this includes things like the shanks in the taps and the various threaded parts that are associated with the faucet.

There is a cost difference between plated brass and SS, but these days the costs have gotten pretty close.

Our tap tower shipped to us with shitty brass parts and we eventually changed them out for all SS. We are way higher volume obviously, but just think about contact time with brass.

Last edited:
depends on how they connect it. it they use a spool screw to fasten it, then you would want it tight and the spool would determine the compression. but I dont know how it is assembled.
very very true. i think we are missing a lot of detail from that schematic. a photo of the actual parts in question would be more useful imo.

The brand of the tap is Celli. By position i mean that there is a screw after the spring and i dont know how much to screw it , until the end , just a little bit or somewhere in the middle. If i understand what exactly is the point of it i will be able to figure it out
Ah. That is the 'pull force' adjustment. It may also be the 'auto return to off', depending on the tap style. I am pretty sure that the longer the spring is, the higher the pull force and more assertive the handle-off action when you let it go. There may be answers at the manufacturer's site, otherwise use trial and error.

Ah. That is the 'pull force' adjustment. It may also be the 'auto return to off', depending on the tap style. I am pretty sure that the longer the spring is, the higher the pull force and more assertive the handle-off action when you let it go. There may be answers at the manufacturer's site, otherwise use trial and error.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/kompensatorzapfhahn-compensator-tap.690257/

these guys have a good diagram. I am not really seeing how that back spring acts on the tap handle??? I get how the front spring would adjust how hard it is to pull and could auto close?

thumbnail_IMG_6660.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_6661.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_6662.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_6663.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_6664.jpg

Yes when i turn the screw it change the pull force but it is not only that. I think it is connected with the foam. You see that there are also little holes in the front and on the side of the valve which are connected.

The shuttle moves back against the rear spring when the tap is pulled.
looks to me like it just allows the seal to move to allow foam while it is closed? the actual photos help a lot.

Looks like the male threaded portion is hollow and when the handle is pushed past closed the beer will jet through the small hole that is exposed to create foam. The adjustment allows the handle to be easier or harder to push to get foam. European faucets are so much different then standard American ones!

Tightness wise i would just thread it all the way on just hand tight and test it out.

Fluid dynamics and such are so fucking interesting to me. I love chatting about this stuff!

Back