stainless vs aluminum

Brewer #415934

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Is there really a difference for brewing from a stainless pot vs a aluminum? just

Aluminum isn't as durable against acids as 304 and 316 stainless. I know some people use aluminum for brewing, but I always worry about it leaching into the wort/beer. It may be it isn't a problem, it might just be me.

Not much of a difference in the beer. Mostly cost and durability. Some folks don't want aluminum in their beer, but I think (speculate) the amount isn't even measurable.

I've had both and the only difference is how well you can clean the pot, stainless is easier to clean
Was gonna say the same thing. Stainless cleans easier.

Technically aluminum conducts heat better, if you use gas burners

Hello , does anyone know about this spring and what is it for ? In which position it should be , fully open , fully closed , middle ?

Attachments

• 49deec39cf8ca6de68c0e3a6f6ffe0cb.png
    49deec39cf8ca6de68c0e3a6f6ffe0cb.png
    99.7 KB · Views: 13
Hello , does anyone know about this spring and what is it for ? In which position it should be , fully open , fully closed , middle ?
there is a glitch in this site that makes it impossible to enlarge attachments and also purposely makes the attachment blurry.

you have to use the "insert" button on the attachment and post the full size picture into the post.

it should only go back together in one way.

the actual handle slots into the rectangular hole in the piston. the flow control handle goes into the next part i believe. its been a long time since i have had one of those apart though.

Last edited:
I would always stay away from aluminum, but im in a different world.

Aluminum and cleaners dont get along. Even PBW will strip the oxide layer allowing aluminum to get into the liquid.

I would always stick to SS, plus SS 5 gallon pots are like $40 on Amazon?

I would always stay away from aluminum, but im in a different world.

Aluminum and cleaners dont get along. Even PBW will strip the oxide layer allowing aluminum to get into the liquid.

I would always stick to SS, plus SS 5 gallon pots are like $40 on Amazon?
I got a 8gallon SS pot with 2 welded ports and lid for like $100

there is a glitch in this site that makes it impossible to enlarge attachments and also purposely makes the attachment blurry.

you have to use the "insert" button on the attachment and post the full size picture into the post.
When I tap the (blurry) thumbnail on my iPhone, I see the full image perfectly.

That appears to be the shuttle, the thing pushed by the tap handle to start and stop the flow. The spring shuts the valve off when the handle is pushed back, and helps the o-ring seal properly.

I'm not sure what you mean by position. It just sits there on the end of the shuttle.

When I tap the (blurry) thumbnail on my iPhone, I see the full image perfectly.
I get a black screen with no picture on my phone, computer, tablet........

edit: just tried firefox, chrome and edge, all do the same thing. @Yooper

Last edited:
The brand of the tap is Celli. By position i mean that there is a screw after the spring and i dont know how much to screw it , until the end , just a little bit or somewhere in the middle. If i understand what exactly is the point of it i will be able to figure it out

The brand of the tap is Celli. By position i mean that there is a screw after the spring and i dont know how much to screw it , until the end , just a little bit or somewhere in the middle. If i understand what exactly is the point of it i will be able to figure it out
you got me on that one. most of the time mechanical things should be tight, but I could be wrong. worst case it wont work right, take it apart and try again

Back