Spunding and Fermentation

I'm on the fence here. Since i returned the Fermzilla, been contemplating getting the snub nose or the Kegmenter. The issues I had with the Zilla has prevented me from pulling the trigger on the snub nose version. With the snub nose the only thing I will need to be concerned with is the lid. I really do not like the gaskets on the lid of the snub nose/Zilla and I dont want to be replacing gaskets every year because they get worn out. But I really like the Kegmenter, which is about $50 more.
I want to be able to naturally carb as Thunderwagn does and do pressure transfers. I'll continue to talk my self out of either one until Black Friday. Maybe the Kegmenter will be reduced or something at Morebeer and will make my decision easier.

I know you're down on the Zilla, but they're coming out with another product. The Rounder. I'm looking at it:) too. Less leak places and less room. As far as I can tell, it hasn't come to the states yet. Just thought I'd mention it just in case.

https://www.kegland.com.au/fermzilla-30l-all-rounder-pressure-rated-keg-fermenter.html
I posted a vid on it I think in the fermzilla thread.
I hope you find something you like.

I know you're down on the Zilla, but they're coming out with another product. The Rounder. I'm looking at it:) too. Less leak places and less room. As far as I can tell, it hasn't come to the states yet. Just thought I'd mention it just in case.

https://www.kegland.com.au/fermzilla-30l-all-rounder-pressure-rated-keg-fermenter.html
I posted a vid on it I think in the fermzilla thread.
I hope you find something you like.
I saw your post about the Rounder. Yeah, that might be better than the snub nose as it's more compact and cheaper. Might have to wait until that comes out.

I've switched over to kegs 100% for everything for a couple years now.

My typical process is ferment ~4 gallons in keg, set spunding valve to a low psi (0-3) to act as blow off tube. Be careful if you're using more wort, you really don't want krausen in that tube.

Then when it's done I transfer to a serving keg through the beer QD which has been purged.

Usually I have my spunding valve on a 2 or 3 way gas line splitter so the fermenting keg is also purging any clean and sanitized kegs so they're ready for filling. Also comes in handy to test c02 leaks.

I really don't understand all these fancy fermenters. If you want to pressure transfer or ferment, just use a keg. They're stainless, cheap, widely available, have standardized parts and plenty of useful add-on gizmos if you're feeling the itch.

If you need more than 4 gallons, just use more kegs. It'll still be cheaper than any conical.

I've switched over to kegs 100% for everything for a couple years now.

My typical process is ferment ~4 gallons in keg, set spunding valve to a low psi (0-3) to act as blow off tube. Be careful if you're using more wort, you really don't want krausen in that tube.

Then when it's done I transfer to a serving keg through the beer QD which has been purged.

Usually I have my spunding valve on a 2 or 3 way gas line splitter so the fermenting keg is also purging any clean and sanitized kegs so they're ready for filling. Also comes in handy to test c02 leaks.

I really don't understand all these fancy fermenters. If you want to pressure transfer or ferment, just use a keg. They're stainless, cheap, widely available, have standardized parts and plenty of useful add-on gizmos if you're feeling the itch.

If you need more than 4 gallons, just use more kegs. It'll still be cheaper than any conical.

I don't know that my fermzilla set up was really that much different price wise than that of a keg. Plus it comes with several nice convenient features that kegs simply don't have. In addition to all the things you mention, I can very easily dump trub if I choose too, collect yeast, dry hop, and all with no risk of introducing oxygen with the purging capabilities it offers. I can also isolate the yeast and trub, and serve directly from the vessel if I really wanted to. And I can have up to 7 gallons in the fermenter. Some nice convenience factors for me anyways for not much more $. Plus, I do like the fact that it's clear and I can see what's going on. I know everyone says you don't need to see inside, but hey, I like being able to... Haha, I'm easily amused and I still enjoy watching what goes on in there!

The sub nose i bought from KK in aus sells for $75. A second hand keg $50 $55 with seal kit. I'm sure the all rounder maybe even cheeper that 75.
So not too much more exy.
Before this I was uming and ahing about weather to ferment in corny keg but these pet fermentors came along so I was sold on simplicity of use. And their much easier to clean and sanitize than a bucket fermentor.
Either ither whatever floats ya boat I recon;).

That's how started, but I wanted more headspace and more beer. So I modified some 1/4 barrel tall Sanke kegs by brazing corny posts on them and a pressure relief valve. I use a floating pick-up that fits through the spear hole (spear removed). The Sanke kegs are slightly wider than a corny, but the same height, so you can get more kegs into the keezer than most fermenters for crash cooling or lagering. The second advantage is that it can be used as a serving keg or a fermenter. They are built like a brick $H1% house, so they can get handled roughly with almost no damage.

It's a lot of work, I'll admit, but the price isn't too bad @ $160-170 US with keg, ports and floating pick-up. I made three 1/4 barrel and one 1/6 barrel. So far it works awesome.

upload_2019-11-25_9-57-18.png

Back