Split batch fermentation logging.

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by robcarruthers, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Rob Carruthers

Rob Carruthers New Member

It would be really handy to have split batch fermentation logging.

For example, I often ferment a batch in two or three fermentors, as a way to test different variables ie. yeast, fermentation temp, different profiles and often different dry hops ratios.

Normally with a Tilt in each vessel to log the progress. Brewers Friend does a great job of displaying the logged data and it would be great if the site accepted multiple data feeds.

Dexlor, DanC and GK like this.
  2. Mark Farrall

Mark Farrall Well-Known Member

Might be nice. When I'm doing this I copy the original recipe, scale it down and then track the fermentation there (using a tilt most of the time). Misses the notes from the main brew session, but I find it easier to move forward with the recipe from the 'successful' parts of the split batches from there.

3. Yooper

Yooper Administrator
    Staff Member

Happily retired
    I don’t have a tilt, but I do split batches quite often. I like the idea! We’ll see what we can come up with in the software to incorporate this if possible.

Dexlor likes this.
  4. Head First

Head First Well-Known Member

I do lots of split batches, usually just change hop schedule and jot it in my notes on 10gal splits. When usung 2 tuns and doing 20gal its just easier to make up 2 recipies even if they just get blended together anyway. Not sure how this would work for calculations as there would be different things you could change with same base wort. Hops, late sugar additions, late fruit additions, different yeasts, etc. Seems like 2 recipes would almost be simpler in the long run. Could split for partygyle and or cap second runnings. A worm can of choices.

5. Dexlor

Dexlor New Member

I'd like to plus on on this. Would love to see this feature. I have just been noting the differences in the comments but it would be great to track the attenuation separately without having to scale the recipe down myself. Especially because I tend to make minor adjustments to the recipe as I go then retroactively back fill the changes.

Yooper likes this.