splashing wort

Discussion in 'General Brewing Discussions' started by grainy one, Nov 22, 2013.

1. grainy one

grainy one New Member

ok this one is probably simple to answer. I collected my mash running's in a 5 gal bucket and the temp when I got done was probably 140 or so. then I dumped the whole thing into my boil kettle at a fast rate. did I mess up by adding o2 pre boil or is this all right. thanks to all for any input.

2. MrBIP

MrBIP Active Member

I don't think there's much harm you can bring pre-boil

3. Praetor

Praetor New Member

I never had that problem. When I had two kettles and only one with a weldless valve on it I would mash in it then transfer to another pot via the valve. Clean out all the grain and pour back into it to boil so I could just drain from the valve. Never a bad batch.

Any O2 is OK pre fermentation because we shake the crap out of carboys to oxygenate anyway before pitching yeast.

4. The Brew Mentor

The Brew Mentor Well-Known Member

George Fix who was much smarter than me wrote and documented about Hot Side Aeration. In short, this has to do with wort being exposed to any oxygen above 80°. The affects were premature staling and other oxidized problems in the finished beer.
    Many have tossed this out as myth, but why take a chance.
    I say avoid it if you can.
    Pick up a copy of some of his books if you want to twist your brain! :ugeek:
    Brian

5. Ozarks Mountain Brew

Staff Member

IT Managment
    all my brews drain from the insert while up in the air around 152ish , although not splashing never had an issue with oxidation or flavor, Ive also poured from mash tun to brew pot a couple of times a real messy day but came out a great beer, knock on wood lol

6. grainy one

grainy one New Member

[many have tossed this out as myth, but why take a chance.]

thanks all for your input, just was wondering how bad it was. I think trying to avoid it is the best course .

7. Nosybear

Nosybear Well-Known Member

Some of Fix's work was applicable to large-scale brewing, where your beers have to be stored for long periods of time. Hot-side aeration likely exists and it likely causes degradation of beer flavor over time; however, at homebrew scales, as long as you're not sticking your air stone into wort at flame-out, it's likely not much of an issue. If you're getting some wet cardboard notes in your beer, you're splashing too much and should change your process. If they appear at six months, you're getting a bit of HSA. If you're beer is still around in six months, you're drinking too slowly. Solve the problem as follows: Cool your wort to 80° F before transferring, then any splashing you do is a good thing, even according to Dr. Fix; or drink faster. And after about 24 hours into fermentation, no more splashing.

By the way, I did taste some oxidized beers at the last Homebrewer's Night at our LHBS. It can happen to us. Cheers!

8. sbaclimber

sbaclimber Well-Known Member

Just had to quote this, 'cause...well, it's true! :D